Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced exhaust and I have codes now?

I just replaced the exhaust from the front cat all the way back on my 97 legacy Brighton with a used exhaust from a 98 outback. It fit perfect and I only payed $150 for it. When I started up the car it was idling rough and the check engine light was on. I thought the light was from th e 02 sensor so I disconnected the battery and it was still there after 10 minutes disconnected.

We checked the wires form the distributor and they were all firing.

I left my friends place and went to the auto parts store to scan the codes. The car ran really rough at idle and stalled as I was turning into the parking lot. I almost hit the sign as I lost my power steering suddenly. It was close.

They scanned the codes. I started the car and drove the 10 minutes home and the car ran perfectly.

So hear are the codes

P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction

po505 Idle control system malfuction

P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

I found this info on the interweb.

Any ideas? I have no clue what's happening. Thanks for any help

Nothing was done other than the exhaust. We unplugged and replugged in the 02 sensors but nothing more. I believe the 02 code is PO420. I checked the transmission fluid. That's it. ?????????

Edited by Nbe1210

The air filter never came off and the only the three codes i listed above came up on the scanner. No po420. I'll look at the hoses when I have a chance later today. Those plugs on the 02 sensors are a pain to unclip. Maybe something got bumped or knocked loose. Thanks for the thoughts. I'm hoping it drives ok today so I can get to work.

Update:  I drove to work this morning and the CEL was on but the car drove fine.  Better than it has in a while in fact.  I  just drove to another building and the CEL is off and all seems fine.  Maybe it was just a computer hiccup??

Edited by Nbe1210