Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing Sliding Rear Window From '82 Brat

Do it when it's hot.  If it is factory rubber, it might just break apart when you try to get it out.  And for the gen2, there are only 2 seals left in the states for the dual sliding rear window.  So be careful.  You want the rubber to be as soft and pliable as possible to save it.

Do it when it's hot.  If it is factory rubber, it might just break apart when you try to get it out.  And for the gen2, there are only 2 seals left in the states for the dual sliding rear window.  So be careful.  You want the rubber to be as soft and pliable as possible to save it.

Ok, thank you for the info :)

So what you're saying here is there is now only one.

Get yourself some MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone),a cotton rag and some decent rubber gloves. Dampen the rag with MEK and put one application on the inside and outside of the seal. Wait 15 minutes and check pliability. MEK is the reactant agent for fiberglass resin and has amazing properties for softening rubber. If it's still hard, repeat until it softens up. Not too soft or it will tear. Works like a charm.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Just peeled the rear window out of my BRAT (85) and MEK is the shiznit. Thorough wipedown and window was out in 20 min. Going to attempt it on my front windshield tomorrow after work.

Just as a recommendation, use something slightly wider and thinner than a screwdriver, I chewed up the inner seal a little with my flatblade.

Twitch

start with getting 1 corner out first.  be patient and don't force anything.  I have some old flat head screwdrivers that I grinded smooth the corners.  you will need about 3-4 screwdrivers. a spray bottle w/ soapy water can also help.