Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap 1996 2.2L motor into a 2000 Legacy?

BombThreat

I'm reading multiple threads and getting answered all over the place on this. Some say its a direct swap and some are saying it cant be done easliy. I have a 2000 Legacy 2.5L Auto. The motor blew and I need a new one. Alot of people say the 2.2L is awesome and I should swap that in. 95-96 the best b/c its non-interferance. I found a 1996 for a great deal with low miles. Can I swap this in easliy and still pass emissions? 

Edited by BombThreat

I'm reading multiple threads and getting answered all over the place on this. Some say its a direct swap and some are saying it cant be done easliy. I

The answers are clear - you are misreading...or probably wishful thinking and hoping you're reading wrong so you can still do this swap, I understand that though.

Yes:  you can swap EJ22's IF it's the proper year/phase.

No: you can't swap across phases like you're asking about.

I replied in your other thread about another option that should be easy enough and not much more expensive.

Edited by grossgary

The answers are clear - you are misreading...or probably wishful thinking and hoping you're reading wrong so you can still do this swap, I understand that though.

Yes:  you can swap EJ22's IF it's the proper year/phase.

No: you can't swap across phases like you're asking about.

I replied in your other thread about another option that should be easy enough and not much more expensive.

It CAN be done. Not that hard. At least in terms of getting it running.

Swap 2.5 intake wiring, throttle body, onto 2.2 intake. Swap Crank and Cam gears.

injector pigtails will also need swapped.

Will throw Iac codes, maybe other but will work.

Sadly probably wouldn't pass emissions. For CEL but if they just sniff the exhaust it will pass if warmed up with good cat.

It CAN be done.

indeed, there are more options than you mentioned.  swap the engine, body side harness, and ECU as well.....or swap EJ25 head onto other block, including that phase I EJ22 block....or bolt his intake manifold onto 99+ EJ22's.

when he says things like "direct swap"...."can't be done easily"....and "can't have codes".....i assume he wants a plug and play swap, no CEL, and "easy" (with all the ambiguity carried in that)....so OP should indicate what kind of job/swap he's looking for (or not looking for).  i assume those are all more than he's looking for except the last option which i mentioned in one of his threads and is around the same price range and easy.

note:  for 96 EJ22 (and 99+ EJ22) you will also need the exhaust manifold as they are single port and EJ25's are dual port.  they bolt right up though, very simple swap, just get the exhaust manifold with it.

Edited by grossgary

Some places a CEL doesn't matter for emissions if the exhaust test passes.

Not sure if it matters for this OP

right on, copy that.  there are places where the CEL can be on and still pass emissions?  i've heard of passing with not ready monitors, but never with a CEL, didn't know that.