Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solo II GLF UPDATE!!

The car is back on the ground---again. It started when I removed the rear torsion bar to change the ride height--to make a story short--the bar was a rusted mess & the outer control parts wouldn't separate from the bar. I decided to install a bar from a 2WD DL wagon--spring rate is MUCH higher- I readjusted the bar up 2 splines & re-set the car--the suspension travel is about 2 1/2--3" real stiff---now the ground clearance is running in the 6" range all the way around. The next job is building the bodywork mods( airdam-rear cap & fender flairs)

The bushings are designed for the EA81 cars & I believe that they will work for most of the earlier cars. The EA82 cars use the same fronts--the inner rears are also the same--I need someone to measure the outer control arm bushings--I could have a full car set designed for the later cars (would take 6 bushing sets per car).

Pics follow------

**UPDATE**

Had to do some re-working on the rear suspension--after driving, the rears had very negative camber & were toe'd-in almost 1". I removed the torsion bar & rewelded the inner control arm pick-up points to a more level position (they were canted 15 deg)--this took out most of the negative camber (now about 1/2 neg) & slotted the outer arm backwards to allow toe ajustment--rear is now at 1/2 neg camber & 1/16 toe-in.

Next came the FUN!!! I've got the flairs done in mock-up--just need to have the temp warm enough for fiber-glas---

O--BTW--the seats are out of a early 90's Honda Civic--took some minor work to install (grinding on front mount tabs & welded a new rear mount)--Thought they looked very good in the car--real form-fitting!!

• 3 months later...

Ooo very nice dude. Maybe I should bring my wagon on down and we can do some body mods to it;);) I'll PM you with what would be goin on with it. But congrats!!! That thing is pimp looking, just needs something on the front and rear ends to finish it off

Oh and BTW, what are those rims from? Did you redrill your hubs or something??? Those rims are PIMPTASTIC!!!

Ooo very nice dude. Maybe I should bring my wagon on down and we can do some body mods to it;);) I'll PM you with what would be goin on with it. But congrats!!! That thing is pimp looking, just needs something on the front and rear ends to finish it off

Oh and BTW, what are those rims from? Did you redrill your hubs or something??? Those rims are PIMPTASTIC!!!

Yea-the rims are 4 x130mm from VW superbeatle--Empie 8 spoke--You can get them online from CB performance---

Dean

Thank you everyone!!---I was kind'a suprised to see this older post pop up again--You can look at more current pics in the photo gallery or follow some of my current posts---The flairs will most likely be done this month or early next & the project for this winter is a EJ22 (so I stay in the class I'm in)---So, stay tuned---

Kind of off topics here, but is that a Lotus frame on the floor next to the car??

It looks a bit familiar to me (which pretty much excludes a Lotus, as I can't even afford to look at one :-\ ), my guess is Triumph Spitfire/GT6.

Gary

Well--yes its a Spitfire----Kind'a. Its a long term project--'67 Spit that has been widened 5" front & 9" rear with the wells tubbed inboard to allow "real" tires--powered by a 3.5L Rover V8 with a Getrag 5 speed behind--the axles you saw are Miata/RX7 so the car will have a better rear suspension--teamed up with a Gen II RX7 limited slip center pod---Kind'a looks like a baby Cobra when its all together----side-lined due to $$$$ (will need a cubic yard of $ to finish---):grin: So, the Subie came into being---I WANTED a car that I could run on the track & play with on the street---So if anyone knows somebody with a spare $6000 or so (engine has over $5000 invested in it)-----if anyone's interested--- (& if this won't prove I'm a car nut--I don't know what will---)

I was gonna ask about the frame too, but I know the lotus europa/elan frames join together in the middle to form a single backbone, and that one doesnt seem to :) Havent looked at an Esprit frame though. All_talk, the old lotuses aren't that expensive, they're just rare and so small its easy to miss them ;).

"Bitchin!!!!!!!

Might inspire our local GLF abuser to do the same.Mighty nice job you have going.Looking forward to seeing the final product."

No way, Paul. Mine is staying bone stock, right down to the auto tranny.

Your in-law's, though...

Nice job, I wonder if you could fit an XT interior into that eventually? The hood scoop is definitely a standout too.