Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Too Much? 86 EA81 hatch questions.

I will apologize in advance if this is the wrong place.. I haven't been on here in ages!!!  I have had many, many subarus and haven't had one in a while.

I have found a small dealer local who has an 86 Hatch 4x4 with EA81.. not the 3dr.. I had one of those with the EA82

This thing looks mint!!! paint is perfect, top rack perfect, no rust, fully redone/ulphostered interior,, no real rust underneath to speak of either.. I mean, this thing is the best condition hatchback I have ever seen!!!  

It has about 156,000 miles on the clock.

It is at a dealer, and they are asking for 2995 for it, which I think it really high, but, considering the rarity of it, and the condition, it may not be.  Small dealers such as this, in my small town, would probably never sell it for that, as only an enthusiast will understand the value, and somebody looking to blow their tax return on a down payment and then dealer financing just isn't smart enough (or at least I would think so).

I am considering going up there on Friday and offering 1500 cash on the spot and see if he would bite.

My question, is how far should I go?  I have always had junk subarus.. well not really junk but with levels of issues to deal with, so I have never had a really nice one.. this thing is a beauty and I would not want to lift it or anything,, a true classic and just looks awesome.

I am comfortable going to 2000 cash, but I just don't think I can stomach 3 grand that he is asking for (but probably asking that because he knows most want financing).

What is the consensus on later EA81 hatchs in EXCELLENT shape?  I am very mechanically inclined on these things and have changed out transmissions, driveaxles and all sorts of things... My problem would be availability of parts in junkyards if it needs it in the future, as most yards are crushing anything older than 20 years and that is a darn shame too.

Thanks... my Twin brother Mark says hi... anybody on here for a while will remember the twins who have been on and off here for years...

/mike

Edit:  I don't know how to add images in this new board yet, but here is a link to a pic... thanks!!!   https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pno7q9rgih4hee/side_profile_86hatch.jpg

Edited by Mikldom

1500 would be my upper level bid.

while it only has 156K miles lots of things could need to be replaced soon.Stuff like the rubber fuel lines,brake lines, vacuum hoses,etc just from not really getting used.

Discounting the relative rarity it is still an econobox from the 80's. Subarus from the 80's are not collectible as of yet.

As you said only an enthusiast would even recognize it for what it is.Everyone else would see it as just another 80's econobox with the reliability issues of being 27 years old.So $1500 sounds like a safe bet.Start with $1200 and work your way up.

Hey your dealin with a dealer....Cash talks and you know the rest..If you have 2 grand and really like it...GO FOR IT !!! You can always save up $2000 but finding a stash Subaru like this one.....not to often...He probley  got it on a trade in and just want to make some fast cash.   Your dealing with a dealer,play the game.You have the cash so you are bound to win..haha... Hey it all depends on how much he needs the cash...if hes hurtin ,mabey $1500 will work.But if hes got money in his pocket .....have fun dickering with him.. Go in on a monday,that seems to be there slowest day...Good luck,and if you really want it ...DO IT...Your cash an't nothin but trash...haha...Todd OSF

Yeah I"m with Uberoo on this,I"d offer the $1200 up first and Act Broke-Pull out the white envelope 1200.NIT PICK THE HELL OUT OF IT Everything-Hey Oil leak $200. to fix plus parts $100..You know Make him :banghead: and want to give it to you for $1200.to get rid of it :brow:  Just like the Pawn Shop-I always beat EM Up :horse:  Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Did not go anywhere.  Seriously, I worked the guy hard... a real old school, toupee wearing jerk.  He went on an on and was telling me about cash offers and this and that, and How he was going to take it to auction and he would get 3500.00 yada yada yada.

I am pretty sure he was using this as a selling tool.. Nobody in their right mind other than a Sube enthusiast would know what kinda of gold mine this is to the sube enthusiast.. Everybody else sees it as a 27 year old car that is under powered.

He was only going to take a full price, AND he wanted full tax AND his 350.00 dealer fee... nah, no dice for me.  As much as I really, (and I mean REALLY) wanted this, it was not coming to me for 3500.00 bux!!!!

I even went as far as to offer as much as 2500 out the door, and there was no movement.  He told me this was his car and he had his guy restore the interior and there was no way he was going to let it go.  I just don't think he wanted to sell it to tell the truth.

I travel enough, when I am looking soon again, I will check around.  A hatch would have been perfect, but, a wagon would suit me just fine too.  I just wished I could make this near mint one work, but not for 3500.  I will try him again in a couple of weeks and see where he is with it.

Bummer....Toupee-Really? Yep those guys are the worst-Have a 1958 3/4s Bald ATLAS BiasPly tire off a Olds 88 and want $200.bucks for it!! And it doesn"t even hold air-It"s petrified <_< It"s like that BRAT that was on E-Bay back in NOV.012   It was up to $12.K but it only had 47.000miles on it...I got offered $2500. for my hatchie drivin down the road an turned him down { I payed 300.} because I know how hard it would be to replace it ...If it had been my OutBack-Show me the $$$

Yep Bummer is the word !!! but I say theres a reason for everything so hang on and see what 2 weeks brings.thats funny about the toupee.. I have lost enough hair to have one ,but really....I think a few bucks worth of counsling would be better in the long run,If it bothered someone that much.. HaHa.Anyway Keep up posted ok.Hope it works out for you.. OSF

Did not go anywhere.  Seriously, I worked the guy hard... a real old school, toupee wearing jerk.  He went on an on and was telling me about cash offers and this and that, and How he was going to take it to auction and he would get 3500.00 yada yada yada.

I am pretty sure he was using this as a selling tool.. Nobody in their right mind other than a Sube enthusiast would know what kinda of gold mine this is to the sube enthusiast.. Everybody else sees it as a 27 year old car that is under powered.

He was only going to take a full price, AND he wanted full tax AND his 350.00 dealer fee... nah, no dice for me.  As much as I really, (and I mean REALLY) wanted this, it was not coming to me for 3500.00 bux!!!!

I even went as far as to offer as much as 2500 out the door, and there was no movement.  He told me this was his car and he had his guy restore the interior and there was no way he was going to let it go.  I just don't think he wanted to sell it to tell the truth.

I travel enough, when I am looking soon again, I will check around.  A hatch would have been perfect, but, a wagon would suit me just fine too.  I just wished I could make this near mint one work, but not for 3500.  I will try him again in a couple of weeks and see where he is with it.

I am dying to know the outcome of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Update,Update,Update :lol:

He did update it :grin: