Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on buying a 1st Gen Wagon?

I've been bitten by the Gen 1 bug, and am currently hunting for such a beast. What would you guys say I should pay for such a wagon? Is running or not running a factor at this point? Or are they getting so hard to find that it's worth picking up no matter the condition?

Thanks

I guess I can rephrase this. I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/nuXa2Aw.jpg?1

for 800 bucks. It runs and drives. Engine sounds pretty good actually. No back seat, the interior is shot. Think it's worth pulling the trigger? The coloring in the picture that looks like rust is actually the original red paint.

I'm about 80% set on buying it. Planning on making the trip tomorrow morning. Just not sure on the price. Although seller is pretty adamant about keeping it a firm 800.

Thoughts? Input? Thanks ahead of time

Edited by ystrdyisgone

i would go for it it would be easier then trading mine XD 800 doesnt seem to bad but im not the best judge because i got mine for a smoking deal main places i would check is the "frame rails" under the car make sure there solid if not its will be a bitch to weld up new ones 

You absolutely MUST check the shelf/bulkhead were the spare tire sits in the engine bay (also check under the dash inside the car). This area is one of the worst areas for rust in the early Subarus and is very difficult and time consuming to put right. Rust in this area has seen the death of so many of these models. As this panel is made up of several layers of metal once rust gets a hold it is not an easy fix.

Edited by Leeroy

i would go for it it would be easier then trading mine XD 800 doesnt seem to bad but im not the best judge because i got mine for a smoking deal main places i would check is the "frame rails" under the car make sure there solid if not its will be a bitch to weld up new ones 

Haha yeah, I'd like to do the trade, but the distance, and condition of the ea71 is what worries me. If I had a truck and trailer, it would be a different story.

You absolutely must MUST check the shelf/bulkhead were the spare tire sits in the engine bay (also check under the dash inside the car). This area is one of the worst areas for rust in the early Subarus and is very difficult and time consuming to put right. Rust in this area has seen the death of so many of these models. As this panel is made up of several layers of metal once rust gets a hold it is not an easy fix.

Sounds like some great advice. Thanks for the heads up Leeroy!

One more update. There's a vid of the wagon. I may have spotted the rust spot of death you are speaking of leeroy. Lemme know what you guys think.

Edit: I have access to many of the parts needed for this vehicle at my work, as another factor in the whole equation.

Edited by ystrdyisgone

holy codswalloping hell that thing is THRASHED hood front fenders tailgate and bumpers are thrashed interior is fubar i find it funny that it has the tweeked right front fender in the same place mine does right where it meets the door i paid a whole 200 for mine and its in a shitload better condition granted i dont think the guy knew what he had for 800 bucks i personally feel thats pushing it for a parts car 

i would simply on the basis that if you want one that bad hold out for one thats in good shape cause if you get that one you will be unhappy with it because its so beat it will depress you looking at it but it would be a perfect candidate for a huge lift