Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the different trans is a non-issue, just remove the flex plate and swap on the fly wheel, or vice versa.

the 03 ej25 has EGR so the intake is different.

and at some point in the 00 - 04 years they changed the cam and crank sprockets.

so the rule of thumb is to swap in the original cam (driver side) and crank sprockets.

and swap the intake manifold. but this will require plugging the hole in the rear of the driver side head.

the intake issue may be resolved by just swapping the wiring harness from the oriiginal engine on to the repalcement intake.

for the AC / Alt. bracket it i'm not sure. it may depend on the year, not sure.

when swapping a 90s ej22 into a 90s ej25 car it is recommended to swap the ej25 bracket onto the ej22. i don't know why, but that is the norm.

Edited by johnceggleston

it was late 01/early 02 where the cam sensor/pulley changes happened.  I had a late 01 in the shop last week that had the upgraded crank timing gear

and +1 on the match the AC bracket to the compressor.  I've ran into issues with that more than anything else on these cars.  Impreza most likely uses a different AC pump than a Legacy.  Seems like every 2 years they had to change the design of the AC system, but left the rest of the stuff alone for 4 years.

you guys are great,  my problem is I got the car with no engine and intake filter, maf and piping, so Im trying to piece this together, I have the 2003 engine and intake, and yes there is a EGR, I could plug that up,I still need  all the intake stuff, so is this 2003 engine wiring going to work with the 2002 Imp ?   I also will need to set up the power steering pump , will the ej22 pump work on the ej25 I have a 22 pump and bracket  if no, anyone have a setup they will sell me  both the pumpand wiring and intake stuff?

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

Some of the newer cars have a pump shaft speed sensor on the PS pump which is plugged into the engine wire harness. Not sure what its for but something worth looking into.

02 and 03 wiring shuld be the same at the engine end.

If you have an alternator and Ps bracket for an older ej22 and have alternator and pump to match the brackets they should fit fine, and the brackets should bolt to the block. The AC bracket may be tricky, but if the car has no compressor, get a compressor and matching brackets from a junkyard car.(if you care about AC) You may even want to get the hoses since they sometimes change the ends where they attach to the compressor.