Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru wheel

Don't forget about the cone washer. If the axle nut is loose, your cone washer has probably failed. You can re-torque the axle nut to 145 ft-lbs, but if it works its way loose again, change the cone washer (it's a dealer only part). Changing the spring washer is a good idea too. A failed cone washer will make noises.

Never had a cone washer fail... can't even imagine how it would. If you have changed the front axle or done the wheel bearing, a loose axle nut is a strong likelihood:  Make sure that the dished ("spring") washer is convex side outwards, and then retorque the axle nut. 

Never had a cone washer fail... can't even imagine how it would. If you have changed the front axle or done the wheel bearing, a loose axle nut is a strong likelihood:  Make sure that the dished ("spring") washer is convex side outwards, and then retorque the axle nut. 

I've had mine fail. The gap in the cone washer becomes so big, the axle loses contact with the hub and steering knuckle, so ergo it just spins freely. The day this happened, I heard some unusual popping. When it popped, I lost power for a second. As I was trying to leave a parking lot, I would let out the clutch and hear nothing but grinding. The car would not move at all. Just grinding and grinding. I thought my clutch had failed, but then that night, I remembered about the cone washer. Went out to the car the next day (left it in the parking lot overnight), checked the axle nut, and it was finger loose. Had the car towed home, and realized I'd stripped my hub from the axle spinning freely. After about a week waiting for the parts, I finally put brand new cone and spring washers on both wheels, as well as a new hub on the one I stripped. Car ran perfectly.

Wrote a thread about it here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/134014-complete-cone-washer-failure/

Here is the video of the failure too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzh5nIcPShM