Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front differential filler plug -- 98 Leg Outback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doc47

doc47

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Where is the fill plug for the front differential on this machine? I've located the drain but can't find the fill. (And know by bitter experience not to drain the oil until you've determined you can get to and unscrew the fill !! Don't ask how I know this...!!)

Second Q: Will it be necessary to use a pump to get the new oil in or is a gear oil bottle with a "squirt" tip sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

doc

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,935 posts
  • Texas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

no fill plug.

If manual, they share fluid and are filled through the dipstick tube.

if auto, the diff's dipstick in on the other (right) side from the auto dip stick. Also filled thru the tube.

I went slowly and used one of these; 31TN9R5E26L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 16 March 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#3 doc47

doc47

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Auburn, WA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

There's a dipstick for that sucker? And I haven't been checking it? Holy s--t! And I thought I took good care of my vehicles. (Just bitch-slapped myself!)

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,935 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

I guess you have an automatic?

sometimes the stick's handle is covered in grime. Look lower and a little farther back, (opposit side) from the auto's dipstick.

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

make sure to replace that O-ring on the dipstick when you do find it.  The oring shrinks and will allow gear oil to bubble out of there, dripping directly down onto the cat converter.  I swap out that O-ring any time I service a trans

#6 tojo

tojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • neptune beach FL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

We just bought an automatic '01 Forester S with 136k for $3k and there is a scrubbing scraping noise whenever rolling and only when you push gas. Recommended transmission shop with Subaru experience pinpointed the noise to the differential and suggested the bearing is bad. Don't know how far into it they got but the repair will cost $750, does all this sound on the level?

Edited by tojo, 26 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,407 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

We just bought an automatic '01 Forester S with 136k for $3k and there is a scrubbing scraping noise whenever rolling and only when you push gas. Recommended transmission shop with Subaru experience pinpointed the noise to the differential and suggested the bearing is bad. Don't know how far into it they got but the repair will cost $750, does all this sound on the level?

No.  Your getting hosed.

I'd check wheel bearings first.  Or even possibly the brake rotor backing plate being a bit bent and touching the rotor. (possibly under load becuase of bad wheel bearing letting hub shift in knuckle.)

Subaru front diffs almost never have bearing failure.  Not in the side outputs.  Occasionally the pinion shaft bearing will go, but then you get gear whine, and shavings in the diff fluid.  This is ussually on turbo or 6cyl cars too, not NA 4cyl.

If you are really considering front diff work, drain and check the fluid first.  If the bearings in diff are the cause of the noise, there will be ALOT of shiny shavings in the diff oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users