Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WTF is this?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

'95 EJ22.

Can someone tell me what this sensor is? It has two wires that aren't used and there are two wires from the pigtail next to it. When I touch any of the wires together it either dies or increases idle depending on which wires are connected. It right below the pcv valve. Also, what is the port just behind the passenger side head close to where the transmission mates up? It is right below the sensor I referenced. As you can see in the picture it is wide open.
IMG_0185_zps60f5b99d.jpg

Edited by Haight, 17 March 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#2 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Destroyed IACV connectors.

PO probably broke connector and just wired from the harness rather than going to a junkyard and cutting and splicing.

O.

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

any CELs or trouble codes?

that is the wiring connector for the IAC, idle air cointrol valve.

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

IACV "idle air control valve", someone really butcherd that wiring harness going to it

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

What engine with what harness in what car is this? I know EJ18's used a different idle air solenoid than the EJ22's so depending on what harness was used the IAC may not be usable. They may have also turned in the throttle stop screw to compensate for the disabled IAC, so the computer may never be seeing the throttle position drop down to closed.

Depending on what parts were combined there may be no fix for that hackery but a complete harness and ECU swap to match the engine. Or just ignore it and tape off the ends of the wires.

I liked the progressive idle air control of the EJ22 for crawling around offroading. The computer would manage the idle to keep it from stalling while rolling along. So if you can hook it up it is nice.

Oh and the port on the top of the block is where the PCV valve is supposed to pull fumes from the crankcase from. It looks like your PCV is hooked to one of the valve cover hoses? Those are both supposed to be fresh air in, then from the block port up to the PCV valve. There is also a T fitting with a vacuum break fresh air line between the PCV valve and the port on the block to keep the PCV valve from sucking too hard on the crankcase.

If you have one valvecover hooked to the PCV and the other vented to filtered air after the MAF sensor that will work but you need to cap off the block port with a cane or chair leg rubber tip cap.

It looks like you did not get a very well or carefully done EJ swap.

Edited by WoodsWagon, 19 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users