Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 2001 Impreza 2.5RS, need remote key fob info

New to me 2001 Impreza 2.5RS, bought it for my middle son's high school graduation gift.

Beautiful car, but only had one key from previous owner, and key is only sub-master or perhaps just valet key.

Local Subaru dealership says they can cut new master keys, and program remote key fob if I find used one from ebay, etc.

Can someone tell me what I'm looking for, as ebay shows a few different looking items?

Also car has factory Subaru alarm system, does this require something different, special, or extra?

Much thanks!

I've done this on several cars, my last one being an 07 OBW.

Search eBay under  2001 Subaru Impreza key blank, and then under 2001 Subaru Impreza Door Lock Remote or similar.

Then search several items by opening them up and reading which years and models they apply to. After doing that with several items you'll know which one you need, as 8 out of 10 sellers will show the same item.

You need to then find a seller who will provide the remote programming free of charge. Several will. Been there, done that.

As always on eBay, check out the seller's feedback and shipping costs.

The last time I purchased a key from one provider, and the key remote from another, and the costs including purchase and shipping to Canada was $38 for both items to my door. You may get lucky and get free shipping which makes it even cheaper. In this case it was for an 03 Ram Pickup. Good Luck!

Once programmed, the remote will handle the alarm.

Edited by gbhrps