Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New 2001 Impreza 2.5RS, need remote key fob info

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dogbone

Dogbone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Charlottesville, VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

New to me 2001 Impreza 2.5RS, bought it for my middle son's high school graduation gift.

Beautiful car, but only had one key from previous owner, and key is only sub-master or perhaps just valet key.

Local Subaru dealership says they can cut new master keys, and program remote key fob if I find used one from ebay, etc.

Can someone tell me what I'm looking for, as ebay shows a few different looking items?

Also car has factory Subaru alarm system, does this require something different, special, or extra?

Much thanks!

#2 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • canada

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I've done this on several cars, my last one being an 07 OBW.

Search eBay under  2001 Subaru Impreza key blank, and then under 2001 Subaru Impreza Door Lock Remote or similar.

Then search several items by opening them up and reading which years and models they apply to. After doing that with several items you'll know which one you need, as 8 out of 10 sellers will show the same item.

You need to then find a seller who will provide the remote programming free of charge. Several will. Been there, done that.

As always on eBay, check out the seller's feedback and shipping costs.

The last time I purchased a key from one provider, and the key remote from another, and the costs including purchase and shipping to Canada was $38 for both items to my door. You may get lucky and get free shipping which makes it even cheaper. In this case it was for an 03 Ram Pickup. Good Luck!

Once programmed, the remote will handle the alarm.

Edited by gbhrps, 18 March 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,712 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

buy one that looks like the pic in the link and it will work fine.

http://www.cars101.c...ess.html#alpine

#4 Dogbone

Dogbone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Charlottesville, VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks and appreciate the links and advice.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users