Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 RX, should I get it?

I found this for sale close to my house. I'm concerned about how it'll run.

Right now it runs great, we took it out twice and it couldn't of done better; 70 mph down highway, great pick up, etc. The only problem I noticed was that the car smelled like oil, and it liked to smoke sometimes.

The reason this is scary is that they say they replaced the engine (it only has 50k on it) and the radiator is damaged, needs to be replaced. The combination of the new engine, radiator, and smoke seems like it could indicate something (head gasket?).

The scariest part is that they wont let me take it to a mechanic to check it out.

As this would be my first car, I want to be able to drive it without putting more than $800 in it. Yeah, I don't want it to sit around not working. Its hard to pass up an RX though.

The Carfax report said it failed emissions twice, but soon after passed.

The first time we asked to take it to the shop they said that they just took it off their insurance (uh huh, this was a couple days after our second test drive). So we asked them again telling them that our insurance would cover it for a day, so we could drive it to the shop. This time we couldn't because we had already seen it three times; and they thought my brother-in-law, who saw it the last time, was a mechanic.

Another problem I forgot to mention was that the oil pressure gauge doesn't work.

no oil pressure guarge is bad.. oil leak could be rear main, oil pan, or valve covers.. if they won't let ya take it to a mechanic then i'd say they are tryin to hide something.. If the car is mint inside and out i wouldn't offer anymore than $500 for it.. as-is.. just due to the fact they won't let ya go have a mechanic check it out..

Yeah, I was gonna offer $300 for it, if they don't let me take it to a mechanic. But I highly doubt they'll take anything but $1000 for it.

It doesn't seem like they care too much if they sell it or not, they just want $1000. If a wait a few weeks, perhaps then they'll let me have it checked out, or go down to $300.

I wish I knew what they knew. :banghead:

So tempting, its running so nice now...

jstin, Where are you from? It doesn't say. If it did and you were close to someone here on the board maybe we could go check it out for you. This board has some very knowledgable people. You don't have to worry about someone stealing it from you, we aren't like that. So, fill out your bio a little and you may have someone offer to check it out for you. Boz

OK Cool, Thanks, Now all you gotta do is look for someone close to you. If there is not anyone close enough, then we could give you some advise as to what to look for or like stated earlier, you could go blindly into a deal and offer like 30 bucks. Start pointing out things that are wrong with it. Get prices from a dealer or shop to fix them. Price a new radiator etc.....

Alright, I have a couple questions then.

I know a lot of you guys have "parts cars". If I were to get one for this car, could it be any EA82 model, or would it have to be an RX?

Also, is a parts car a good way to fix a car inexpensively. The plan would be, if any thing went wrong with the RX, I could take something off the part car, and fix the RX.

Then I'd just talk the people selling the RX down some, and I'd be set.

Would this be a feasible plan? If its the engine thats shot, perhaps it wouldn't work so well. I think there might be a problem with the head gaskets (but I think these at least are common among the EA82's?).

I know a lot of you guys have "parts cars". If I were to get one for this car, could it be any EA82 model, or would it have to be an RX?

Depends on what parts you need.. if you needed a power window switch, any EA82 car with power windows would work.

If you needed a motor, any EA82 Turbo car would work.

If you needed RX body kit or RX interior, you would have to get them from an RX

Well, personally I know where the people are coming from. I sell around 12 vehicle a year. On the higher priced ones I bend over backwards to let them take it a mechanic, show it to their wife, etc. On the lower-priced ones, I can't be so accomadating, because my time is valuable. You have already been out there 3 times, and they are selling $1000 vehicle, in their situation, I might not let you take it again. BUT if the deal sounds fishy, then leave your name and number and tell them you would be more than happy to take it off their hands after your mechanic sees it. Its a car, there are more of them out there.

And if I had a decent $1000 RX, and you offered me $300 for it, I would tell you to get off my property, and come back when you knew what you wanted. Negoiating is fine, but low-balling someone just pisses them off.

If you are not going to have money to put into a vehicle than a EA82 TURBO is not for you. No matter how cool it is. They are a HIGH maintance vehicle and are prone to overheating.

If you are not going to have money to put into a vehicle than a EA82 TURBO is not for you. No matter how cool it is. They are a HIGH maintance vehicle and are prone to overheating.

Hmm, what kind of money do you mean. If I bought a car for $1000, I'd have $700 to put into it right away (I have $1700 for a car right now). I would not want to spend more than $1500 extra on it within two years. Thats why I thought a parts car might work out well?

I saw an 88 DL Wagon, perhaps that would be a better car.

Hopefully you would not have to put $1500 into it in the next two years. You will need to start with a new double core radiator, which is anywhere from $160-$200.

I love the RX's, don't get me wrong, but a non-turbo might be a better first vehicle, especially if you want to work on it yourself. The SPI fuel injection Loyale is pretty simple machine. I would stay away from a high mileage carb model unless you are in area where you can put a weber on it.

Not meaning to offend anyone, but there are two sides to every coin.

Richie is right on the money. As a first car and low on cash, the turbo model's special stuff is a large pain. Gaskets are more and if you have any work done around the engine it is more because of all of the heat shields. I know, I own one and both work on it myself and also send it to the shop.

I know that an engine pull or tranny change would take me several hours less if it weren't for the turbo stuff.

So, first car, low on green, work on it yourself (or not) = carb or spfi model. Because unless you get lucky, you will most likely be resealing it once within the next two years. I know that the turbo model will run about $900 at the shop. It is much easier to do yourself w/o the turbo.

But I would stay w/ the ea82 engine. Lots of them in the area JYs and you can "upgrade" easily. Then you will have the money to get a 5 lug swap, 4x4 if the one you get doesn't, RX tranny perhaps, XT6 tranny instead maybe. Lots of fun possibilities.

My .02

Jay

Manitou Springs, Co