Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battery and E-Brake Light On; New battery, new alternator

Subaru Legacy GT Legacy Brake Light Battery light Alternator

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SubaruMan314159

SubaruMan314159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Somerset, Pa

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

The question says it all. I was having alternator problems, so I got a new one. It simultaneously killed my battery, so I got a new one, too. But my e-brake and battery lights are on and blink simultaneously from time to time, even going off for periods of time.

I'm a complete n00b to the forum, but even though I could find people with the light problem, nobody has had the issue after just replacing the alternator and battery as far as I could tell.

I have no issues starting the car, dimming lights, etc, like I did when the alternator went bad before. Any hints or tips? Thanks guys!

#2 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well the batt and brake lights come on when the alternator isn't putting out any power. If they're going off, that means it's momentarily working. I'd have the alternator tested. If it comes out fine, it's time to check your wiring.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

From what you say it seems that the alternator you got has a problem and you need another replacement.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

From what you say it seems that the alternator you got has a problem and you need another replacement.

most likely, or there is a bad cable/ground or similar issue.

#5 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Same thing happened to me with my 96 OB, the third time I realised each time it happened was when the heated seat was on. I unplugged the heated seat button.

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

the alt may be under rated for the car. try turning things offm lights, heater fan, seats?, when the lights come on.

the lego and impreza have lower amp ratings i think.

also some re-mans are crap. where did you buy it?

#7 SubaruMan314159

SubaruMan314159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Somerset, Pa

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

the alt may be under rated for the car. try turning things offm lights, heater fan, seats?, when the lights come on.

the lego and impreza have lower amp ratings i think.

also some re-mans are crap. where did you buy it?

I bought it from AutoZone.

#8 SubaruMan314159

SubaruMan314159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Somerset, Pa

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

most likely, or there is a bad cable/ground or similar issue.

What's the best way to check it? Can I just take it to an auto store and have them run tests.

#9 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

What's the best way to check it? Can I just take it to an auto store and have them run tests.

there are enough reports of people getting bad rebuilt alts, that taking it back for testing would be the first move I'd make.

#10 14D

14D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'm on my third reman'd in less than a year (2 from autozone, 1 from oriellys).  Wish I'd found this forum earlier and I would have put something else in last time.  If this one dies I'm definitely going with a newer subaru or higher amp nissan one.  I might even change it out  before then, it definitely seems underpowered.  Luckily it has a lifetime warranty.

If you search this forum you'll find some different options for a replacement.

#11 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,667 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm on my third reman'd in less than a year (2 from autozone, 1 from oriellys).  Wish I'd found this forum earlier and I would have put something else in last time.  If this one dies I'm definitely going with a newer subaru or higher amp nissan one.  I might even change it out  before then, it definitely seems underpowered.  Luckily it has a lifetime warranty.

If you search this forum you'll find some different options for a replacement.

Can you replace with a Nissan alternator? If so, a unit for which Nissan and model year.

#12 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

also some re-mans are crap.

www.car-part.com

any questions?

Edited by johnceggleston, 20 March 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

The best way is to check the voltage on each of the pins at the rear of the alternator while the engine is running and things are connected normally. Both of the pins should be close to the battery voltage. If one is near zero volts then the alternator has a internal problem most likely. To verify that stop the engine, disconnect the rear connector on the alternator, turn the key to the RUN position and recheck the voltage on the pins of the connector while it is removed from the alternator. If both of the voltages are now near battery voltage then the alternator has a problem, which might not show up on the test jig.

#14 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Do you have a volt meter? I had to finally surrender on Blu where I just got a used one from a yard after three bad rebuilt ones in a row

Edited by nipper, 20 March 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#15 14D

14D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Can you replace with a Nissan alternator? If so, a unit for which Nissan and model year.

I don't know exactly, I've just seen it mentioned on here various times.  I've also read you can use a newer subaru one if you change the plug on the car.  Not sure of the details on that one either.  I'm sure you can find it through searching and if not someone on here will know.  I've been really impressed with this board in the short time I've been on here :headbang: 

#16 SubaruMan314159

SubaruMan314159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Somerset, Pa

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I understand the alternator may be dying, but those lights came on after a while and I was able to restart the car with no problem. And the lights came on right when I did that, too. Again, I'm pretty n00bish though.

Annnnnnnnnd it's possible I may not have my receipt... :/

Thanks again guys!

#17 14D

14D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

I understand the alternator may be dying, but those lights came on after a while and I was able to restart the car with no problem. And the lights came on right when I did that, too. Again, I'm pretty n00bish though.

Annnnnnnnnd it's possible I may not have my receipt... :/

Thanks again guys!

Autozone saves your warranty information under your phone number usually.  An intermittently failing alternator will produce the symptoms you're describing.

#18 SubaruMan314159

SubaruMan314159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Somerset, Pa

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users