Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Blu Bomb

Twitch de la Brat

So here goes the build thread for my little blue 83 wagon.

What it looked like after I brought it home/what it kinda looks like now:

CIMG0090.jpg

Since taking the engine out and tearing it down from finding this in the oil pan:

CIMG0516_zpse4104e82.jpg

Found a nice little crack in the driver's side head (cyl 3 that popped the HG).

Too fine for my crappy camera to show, but its about an inch long running from the valve into the piston surface.

Time for JY heads!

May port and polish, may not. Depends.

Anyway, current goal is .030" off the total mating surface.

Torque grind Delta Cam

EA82 Pistons

Weber 32/36

Ordering EA82 SPFI pistons tomorrow and dragging my sorry carcass to the jy to grab some "new" heads.

Hope it all goes together as easily as its coming apart..

Twitch

This that high comp build I seen something about in another forum somewheres?...

You would be correct. Posted in a thread or two about it. If my estimates are correct, I should be building 120-130 horse on 92 octane. But the real story is torque. Hoping to be in the 150+ range. May need an octane booster to keep it from pinging, may not. Depends on how break in goes.

I'll be pushing damn near 11:1 compression.

Hope I don't blow up my starter... :P

Twitch

PS: I'll post up pics of the heads I get

PPS: Has anyone ever had heads where sheetmetal has been cast into the exhaust port?

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

Got fresh heads, but no pix. Wanted to get pix of them scrubbed down, but ran short of time before the shop closed.

Still fighting trying to find a looooong pair of needle nose pliers or the special tool to remove the inner piston pin circlip.

Also, any hints on how to get that piston pin out?

I haven't gotten too far after it yet, but i don't want to damage them and have to get new ones.

Its getting along, just trying not to beat my head into the wall to get the case apart. Once that's done it'll all be easy from there.

Twitch

PS: I'll get a pic of the sheetmetal in the head, its bizarre. I think I have a cali-model car... :-\ :horse:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, never got pix of the old heads. Sorry.

Anyway...

CIMG0534_zps3b103645.jpg

Split block

CIMG0532_zps4e3f81b3.jpg

Crank and Cam (cam is on its way to Delta)

CIMG0542_zps2ac9e987.jpg

Whole assembly, "exploded" version

CIMG0538_zps5bdac81d.jpg

Shiny cylinder walls :) And even after 200k, no cylinder lip :headbang:

CIMG0543_zps18bab582.jpg

And just for the hell of it, verification that I did have genuine Subaru pistons :)

All of the necessary goodies are at the machine shop and being prepped and cleaned up.

Didn't order pistons as I don't know if I'll need the block to be bored, but I don't think it'll need it.

Got taxes in, so costs are covered for everything. Just need to find out when I'll get everything back and get it all put back together.

Can't wait for the first :burnout:

Twitch

• 2 weeks later...

Sanded/removed paint on the rear quarter panels Sunday.

The crappy rattle can by the PO came of quite easily with a refinishing brillo pad and a vinegar/soapy water combo.

Just have to keep scrubbing at it, but I may switch to a proper sander with a similar grit pad to do the rest.

Its a lot of work doing it by hand...

Twitch

PS: Still waiting on the machine shop for the motor as well as Delta for my cam.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the one Yohn was talking about?

Jeff

Very Possible.

Working out getting stuff done with the machine shop right now.

He's slow, but my paychecks are small, so it works :P

Still wondering why Delta hasn't called me back yet, but I'm patient.

I've been working a lot more weekdays than i was expecting.

Twitch

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, I got the block back from the Machine shop and he fubar'd one of my head studs trying to remove it.

So he handed it back to me and told me to take the rest out by myself because he's too busy and doesn't want to charge me the labor to do them all.

Well, I need a new stud, and possibly more, and buying them new doesn't seem to be a possibility any more.

Anybody got any lightly used/new studs for an EA81 laying around?

Also still looking for EA71 pistons. Ken changed my mind about the SPFI's, plus the fleabay seller ran out of stock before I could get any pistons from him.

Twitch

PS: Got some new goodies (FOR FREE)

CIMG0575_zps37283b33.jpg

CIMG0574_zpsd3bdd952.jpg

Basically NOS Hella 500's that are 20 or so years old :)

hey Twitch, what did Ken say about the ea71 pistons v the ea82 ones? Im piling up stuff to build a spfi high, but not too high cp ea81 this summer. Im glad youve got another ride to play with, I like youre threads. cheers, RV

Justin, no knocking here. I love retro-ish stuff. The guy gave'm to me because I wa ooh-ing and ahh-ing over them :P Plus he didn't want them any more. Plus, from their looks, they've never been run. Came with 2 Hella 100w bulbs too :banana:

Subruise, Ken said that the SPFI builds never really seemed to have the same power the EA71's did. So that really changed my mind :)

Going with the expert on this one.

Any suggestions on removing studs from a block?

I've been heating and cooling one with a torch and some Deep Creep, but not luck so far. I'll be moving on to another one if this one doesn't move. Its the one the machinist screwed up, so I'm kinda using it for my tester.

Twitch

I spent quite a bit of time (and money) on a very well built SPFI high-compression EA81. In the end I finally gave up and EJ'ed it when the cam failed at about 5000 miles.  In my opinion the SPFI is not a good match for the Delta torque grind cam on the EA81. You might actually do better with a Weber power wise.

So, my weekend has been busy, but somehow Ken got me my Cam overnight. YOU GUYS ROCK.

I talked to him at 4:00pm Friday. My cam was here Saturday afternoon.

So far, the head studs suck to remove.

Any hints on how to get them out?

Other than heat and douse in penetrant.

Crazyeights, we were talking about pistons, not SPFI ;)

I'll be bolting on and tuning a weber once I get the motor put back together and I can see how much the machine shop is going to peel out of my hide/bank account.

Twitch

Ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, all the studs are out!

And the machinist tried a stud puller. Shredded the threads about halfway down on one of the studs.

The thing that finally got them out was a 500 ft lbs impact and double nut locked on there. And the last one took heating and cooling with penetrant to finally make it let go. It was a bear to get out. Thankfully minimal aluminum loss :)

Heading back the the machine shop asap and ordering some EA71 pistons w/rings. :banana:

Twitch

PS: Lets hope I don't bend a connecting rod on startup ;)

• 1 year later...

Soooo, over a year has passed. And the block returns to being whole!

I'll have pix up soon, ones that don't show the poor thing laying in my trunk :P

But the pistons are in, the cam is in, the crank is in, and it rotates like a dream.

As soon as life slows down next week, the studs are going back in and that little bugger is getting its heads back on :banana:

After that comes the water pump and the oil pump.

Then the flywheel housing will be added and the pan shall find itself back in its proper place.

Then after that, the intake will be ported slightly to adjust for the 1/32 taken off each side ;)

And then the weber shall be attached and the motor will find itself back in the car!

Then all hell will break loose :burnout::Flame::dead:

Twitch

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Come on Ben! where's the pics?

Ask, and you shall receive...

14677710951_c53c019729_z.jpg

And that's not even TDC ;)

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow with a head on the poor thing and the piston at top dead center.

Btw, this is one of the few times I'd refer to my Subaru as "hella flush" :banana:

I've also decided that I'm going to acquire an EA82 intake for my build.

Better flow and my stock disty should play nicely with the sizing issue.

Also, if anyone wanted to find a better setup for their air filter, Weber, K&N and a few other companies make an adapter to take a DGEV carb

top and fit it to a 5 1/4" intake size, aka: hot rod aftermarket air cleaner diameter.

I'll be hunting one of those down for cheap so I can snorkel the little guy for later "excursions" ;):banana::Flame:

Twitch

• Like 2

Sounds like a blast!  I thought about the snorkel adapter only for a remote air cleaner purposes.  I think a build like this could be fun also with spfi.

Shouldn't those pistons have valve reliefs in them or is that the spfi pistons?

Nicely done!

Mike

Edited by Mykeys Toy