Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

will this weber work??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

well my auto teacher gave me a weber today, its a 32/36 DFAV. its off a VW, came with the intake and adapter top for a regular round filter.

would this work on my 86 GL wagon?

Thanks,
Shean

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

Probably, if you have an adapter for the manifold. Show me pics and Ill be able to help you more.

#3 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

i know i will have to buy the adapter, but what is the adapter number for the 32/36 carbs onto the EA82 manifold?

i will go get some pictures now if my other computer will comply then upload them later.

Shean

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

Yes - the DFV series (or holley/weber 5200) will work, but the venturi's are smaller than a DGV. You won't get the same torque from it as you would from a DGV. Possibly a little better than a Hitachi, but the EA82 Hitachi's are bigger than the EA81, so maybe not much at all really. It will "feel" better because of the progressive linkage, but you can wrap a wire around the Hitachi linkage to make it act similarly....

GD

#5 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:00 PM

so if i do put on the DFAV then it will pull better and get better gasmilage then the hitachi?

i may just keep the hitachi, and rebuild it and just sell this weber unless i find myself a brat that i can get for cheap and off-road.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:02 PM

You will benifit in a couple ways - one is that the Weber is simpler to work on, and another is the progressive linkage. As to better mileage, the only reason people claim that is because their Hitachi was in bad shape. I've seen and owned Hitachi's that could get 30 MPG. My Brat when I got it was getting 23, and after overhauling the fuel system, I'm up to 29 or 30 with the original carb. As for pulling harder, a DGV will, but a DFV is crippled by the smaller size of it's venturi's - even tho the base of the carb is a 32/36, it doesn't live up to the DGV for pulling power. And in my opinion, if you're going to bother with buying an adaptor and such, then your better off finding a DGV, otherwise the cost of the adaptor is more than a rebuild kit for the Hitachi, and the Hitachi when working properly makes the car very nice to drive - it's a very behaved, tame carb, and far more advanced when it comes to emmissions and such. More complicated too tho, so you really have to know what's what on the Hitachi.

GD

#7 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for telling me the DFV series are weaker... I almost bought a 32/36 for $100 (on portland craigslist if anyone is interested) I want the DGV punch :brow: The way I drive I need all the HP I can get

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:17 AM

Ask Caboobaroo about the differences.... I didn't even know till he showed me his flea market 5200 and I compared it side-by-side with my DGV I have sitting here. I was very surprised to find they are quite different in terms of bore sizes. The DGV probably flows twice as much as the 5200 I looked at, but just looking at the bottom where the throttle plates are, they look the same! It's very decieving, and I don't even expect people will believe it till they have seen a picture. I should have taken one when I had the chance....

GD

#9 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,847 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:23 AM

yes that is right GD. The venturies are smaller compared to the DGV. I bought a DFV for 15 bucks at the Portland Swap Meet a couple weekends ago. I was fully rebuilt and never run but it came off of a 2.3 liter Pinto motor. The bases are the same as a DGV carb BUT if you compare the two, the venturies in the DFV are a lot smaller. I will try and get some pics of one that has an electric choke compared to one that has a water choke. If I'm lucky, I can get back with GD and we can take some pics comparing the DGV to the DFV.

#10 bigjim5551212

bigjim5551212

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:22 PM

Ok, gents, here it is regarding 32/36 DFAV series carbs. The carb is basically the same as a DGV series except that the barrels are reversed. The other things are, the venturis are the same as DGV 26 - 27 , but the air horn is smaller than a DGV so you would flow less air. The float bowl is a bit smaller as well. This carb is basically the same as a Holley 5200, but the Holley has drawbacks. Read my post on used Webers.

#11 sportsterbrat

sportsterbrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Belton SC

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:27 PM

Your In luck McBrat has an adapter for sale in the market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users