Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will this weber work??

Yes - the DFV series (or holley/weber 5200) will work, but the venturi's are smaller than a DGV. You won't get the same torque from it as you would from a DGV. Possibly a little better than a Hitachi, but the EA82 Hitachi's are bigger than the EA81, so maybe not much at all really. It will "feel" better because of the progressive linkage, but you can wrap a wire around the Hitachi linkage to make it act similarly....

GD

You will benifit in a couple ways - one is that the Weber is simpler to work on, and another is the progressive linkage. As to better mileage, the only reason people claim that is because their Hitachi was in bad shape. I've seen and owned Hitachi's that could get 30 MPG. My Brat when I got it was getting 23, and after overhauling the fuel system, I'm up to 29 or 30 with the original carb. As for pulling harder, a DGV will, but a DFV is crippled by the smaller size of it's venturi's - even tho the base of the carb is a 32/36, it doesn't live up to the DGV for pulling power. And in my opinion, if you're going to bother with buying an adaptor and such, then your better off finding a DGV, otherwise the cost of the adaptor is more than a rebuild kit for the Hitachi, and the Hitachi when working properly makes the car very nice to drive - it's a very behaved, tame carb, and far more advanced when it comes to emmissions and such. More complicated too tho, so you really have to know what's what on the Hitachi.

GD

Ask Caboobaroo about the differences.... I didn't even know till he showed me his flea market 5200 and I compared it side-by-side with my DGV I have sitting here. I was very surprised to find they are quite different in terms of bore sizes. The DGV probably flows twice as much as the 5200 I looked at, but just looking at the bottom where the throttle plates are, they look the same! It's very decieving, and I don't even expect people will believe it till they have seen a picture. I should have taken one when I had the chance....

GD

yes that is right GD. The venturies are smaller compared to the DGV. I bought a DFV for 15 bucks at the Portland Swap Meet a couple weekends ago. I was fully rebuilt and never run but it came off of a 2.3 liter Pinto motor. The bases are the same as a DGV carb BUT if you compare the two, the venturies in the DFV are a lot smaller. I will try and get some pics of one that has an electric choke compared to one that has a water choke. If I'm lucky, I can get back with GD and we can take some pics comparing the DGV to the DFV.

• 7 months later...

Ok, gents, here it is regarding 32/36 DFAV series carbs. The carb is basically the same as a DGV series except that the barrels are reversed. The other things are, the venturis are the same as DGV 26 - 27 , but the air horn is smaller than a DGV so you would flow less air. The float bowl is a bit smaller as well. This carb is basically the same as a Holley 5200, but the Holley has drawbacks. Read my post on used Webers.