Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The only way to get out a broken bolt is to drill down its centre far enough that a bolt exractor can be wound in, and then turn counter clockwise to wind out the broken section. I've done it many times over the years, but never on a head in the engine bay.

I suggest removing the head again, and using a drill press try the method I stated. Its a scary job, but you really don't have another option. Take it slow and be cautious. Be sure to buy a GOOD bolt extractor. Cheap ones often break off in the bolt making the job even more troublesome.

If you're inclined to not want to tackle the job yourself, a good machine shop should be able to do the job. Good Luck!

I went back to the shop that resurfaced the heads and they said they could dip it in a tank of solution and zap it with electicity to extract the bolt. Then they would put a helicoil in. All said and done it wuld cost more than $100. So I just went to the junk yard and pulled one off a car with the cams and lifters for $46 including core.

I did try to drill it out with an extractor drill bit, but it broke. I'll look around to find a good quality extractor bit and try again.