Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've dug through a buncha old threads and searched around, can't quite find what I'm looking for, hopefully you all can help me out.

Got a 96 Subaru Legacy L, Auto. 195k. Replaced the Timing Belt, Water Pump and Thermostat not long ago after an overheat. (Replaced spark plugs and wires about 8 months ago after a misfire). Ran awesome again for a week, then engine starts running rough. Almost like it has the hiccups. RPMs don't change. It does it at all speeds, but worse at idle. Irregular. Sometimes three little "vrums" in a row, sometimes several seconds between them, sometimes one or two at a time. Irregular but everpresent. Sometimes like it's not getting enough gas, then suddenly too much real fast. Again, RPM needle doesn't move, at all, just can feel it and hear it in the way it runs. Like it lurches real quick but not real hard.

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? IACV? Something else? I read threads on all these, and none seems to match the same symptoms. I'm really short on time and cash, so I can't afford to tinker a bunch with it. CEL only throws Catalytic converter code like has on and off since I bought it 2 years ago.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Solid premonitions?

Edited by lassensurf

Just had it checked again. Cylinder 2 misfire. Hmmm. Last time I had a misfire the CEL flashed at me. Any recommendations on brand (since the ones I put in 8 months ago were Autozone)? 

Also noticed I'm newly leaking coolant out near the water pump thermostat. Didn't do that for two weeks after I replaced both. Also getting white smoke leaking from exhaust, near Y-connector. Never saw that before. Grrrrrr.

The 2.2s aren't too picky about plug wires. I've run Car-Quest house brand, Standard Ignition, Napa, even a set of no name cheapies I snagged from a junkyard car on both of my 2.2s at one point or another and never had an issue with wires.

Did you gap the plugs before installing them? Should be .039-.043". Any standard copper plug should run just fine in that engine. If you got platinums or one of those those multi- electrode types they're a waste of money.

Check to make sure its not the thermostat housing leaking first. If it is get a thermostat gasket froma dealer and install that. If its not the stat housing you'll have to pull the water pump again and put a dealer gasket on it. Most of the aftermarket kits come with paper gaskets that fail in no time. Dealer gasket is rubber coated stainless steel that works very well.

Smoke from the y-pipe is an oil leak probably from the separator plate. All too common issue on these but should be fine to leave alone for a little while as long as you keep an eye on the oil level. Eventually you will have to pull the engine to reseal the plate.

Check out Beergarage.com for good pics and writeup on the separator plate.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 2

sweet. thanks for the tips. Pulled out the spark plug and the contact cylinder thingy is loose, just flops around in there. Lame.They were NGK from autozone done in May/June. Broke the boot trying to get it off, the metal inside the boot was stuck real tight on the plug. Double lame. 

Also, there's this brown/black hard crusty buildup all over the spark plug where the boot goes. I used electric grease when I put them on, is it just that stuff getting crusty/rusty?

Also, wiped down all wet spots, tightened a couple hoses and leaking seems to have stopped (did that before taking plugs out). Still getting smoke from along exhaust pipes, before and into Y-connector. Not lots, little wisps leaking off all length of the pipes, both sides. (It snowed last night and asphalt outside the garage is steamy in the sun, is it just condensation from the air?)

Edited by lassensurf

Spark plug #2 was in bad shape. The internal contact was loose and flopping around in it's space. The metal contact in the wire was arc-welded onto the plug and the old grease between the wire and plug was all black and hard. Replaced all four plugs and wires, threw in a new air filter (cuz it's been a while) and the whole thing runs like a dream (minus the shake from the new passenger half-axle I put in last summer, and still leaking a bit of coolant from the engine somewhere on the driver side where it's all wet).

Thanks for the tips.