Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay I know why it's not turning off, sixstar automotive did this to my moms subaru when her hvac controls went out. I have since fixed them using legacy777's write up but whatever six star did is still operating the fan all the time. I looked up where the heater fan relay is but, I got conflicting story's. I believe the relay is behind the left hand kick panel behind the fuse box, is that right? Also does anyone know what they might have done to make it work like this? The way it's hooked up the fan will run even if the hvac controls are unplugged. I believe they were messing around with the relay, but I can't find any wiring diagrams on the climate controlls to even get an idea of what they did. Any help would be appreciated.

The fan works just like its supposed to, all four speeds work. I did check around the fan since that was the first thing I thought to but, the wiring goes into a harness just like its supposed to. I think they just wired the relay straight to the acc part of the fuse box, probably to the heater fuse. I am going to pull the fuse box out a little and see if I can find the relay and maybe that will give me an idea of what they did.

Okay so the info I got about the blower motor relay is wrong, I did find a relay behind the fuse box but it didn't go to the blower motor. I can see a relay that looks like the old roundies but by the location I think it's the fuel pump relay. Then there are three black relay looking things ontop of the fuse box but, I have no clue how to get them out without breaking them.

And if course five minuets after I post that I find the relay :P it is one if the older style roundies and its original resting place was right behind the fuse box on the very top, but when they "fixed" it they relocated to an easier to get to place. When I pulled the tray down I found this relay staring me in the face

E557611F-AB68-466E-922A-D40D9C34E7B7-514

As you can see in these pics they used a wire splicer on the negative side of the relay and ran it to the closest ground making the fan stay on the whole time.

550B8A92-7B26-4B42-B3A0-11D1F2C1EF0C-514

03D0A778-B448-4F63-8258-91B063C0696D-514

This could also be used as a quick fix for those who don't want to pull their hvac controlls apart and resolder the circuit board.