Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Air intake mod for EJ 6inch lifts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

I had to run the 2.2L air intake when I got done lifting my OB, and noticed a huge lack of bottom end power (EJ25D sucks for bottom end to begin with)   

We just got a wrecked 05 Outback in at work and I started looking at the airbox that bolts to the throttle body.  They were nice enough to put a cutout in there to clear the pitchstopper (upper motor mount)  Might have to ziptie heater hoses and AC hoses back a little bit, but it gives enough room to rotate the airbox to where you are getting a straight shot to the MAF on the airbox.  I used the EJ25D middle piece of the air intake as a splice (so I could keep my IAC hose hookup)  

Other than that it was basically a direct bolt up, other than adding a T into the PCV line that comes off near the PCV valve.  I tied that into the passenger side crank case ventilation line and then into the airbox. 

Car surprising has a lot more bottom end.  It smoothed out the power range, instead of lag til 3k, it pulls evenly to the rev limiter (4500 to 6500 seems to peak a little faster)

Keep in mind I'm running a weird exhaust system, Just the front cat and factory piping to the back of the tranny and then the tail pipe is 1 3/4" ID to keep the back pressure up.   And good god does it crackle on decel.  def makes heads turn.

I'll take some pictures of it if anyones interested in doing this to their lifted rig

#2 wagonryan

wagonryan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

I wish my stock 2.2 airbox fit! Mine doesn't have a cutout in it so it doesn't sit flush like it used to, so now I'm rocking the airbox off older subies that sits by the pass fender and has the hose to the TB. 

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

If you use the 2.5L airbox/MAF and my setup, everything stays bolted down in its original place.  So my airbox thru the fender coupler still hooks up to the water trap behind the front bumper. 

#4 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,424 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I ran my frankenmotor air box to the fender, closed up the stock hole there, and cutout the bottom of the airbox.(it was built out of like 3 different intake pieces from 91 to 2000's)

Would not work in snowy wheeling as well. But works out well in non water applications. LOL

Edited by monstaru, 06 April 2013 - 01:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users