Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air intake mod for EJ 6inch lifts

torxxx

I had to run the 2.2L air intake when I got done lifting my OB, and noticed a huge lack of bottom end power (EJ25D sucks for bottom end to begin with)   

We just got a wrecked 05 Outback in at work and I started looking at the airbox that bolts to the throttle body.  They were nice enough to put a cutout in there to clear the pitchstopper (upper motor mount)  Might have to ziptie heater hoses and AC hoses back a little bit, but it gives enough room to rotate the airbox to where you are getting a straight shot to the MAF on the airbox.  I used the EJ25D middle piece of the air intake as a splice (so I could keep my IAC hose hookup)  

Other than that it was basically a direct bolt up, other than adding a T into the PCV line that comes off near the PCV valve.  I tied that into the passenger side crank case ventilation line and then into the airbox. 

Car surprising has a lot more bottom end.  It smoothed out the power range, instead of lag til 3k, it pulls evenly to the rev limiter (4500 to 6500 seems to peak a little faster)

Keep in mind I'm running a weird exhaust system, Just the front cat and factory piping to the back of the tranny and then the tail pipe is 1 3/4" ID to keep the back pressure up.   And good god does it crackle on decel.  def makes heads turn.

I'll take some pictures of it if anyones interested in doing this to their lifted rig

• 2 weeks later...

I ran my frankenmotor air box to the fender, closed up the stock hole there, and cutout the bottom of the airbox.(it was built out of like 3 different intake pieces from 91 to 2000's)

Would not work in snowy wheeling as well. But works out well in non water applications. LOL

Edited by monstaru