Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy wagon torque bind and flashing power light

So i bought myself a 92 lego wagon and its great minus a couple transmission issues. 148k miles, auto trans, Couple things are bothering me with the trans the first is the binding obviously, i dont know for sure when the last fluid change was (for the trans) the PO claimed he did it at about 80k when he bought it. the power light flashes 16 times on start up Almost every time and the binding starts once the trans is warmed up. the tires are all the same and fairly even tread. the other thing about it that worries me is that when i put my foot down to accelerate and shift down into second it seems to rev a but high and catch it self.. also have a leaky fuel filler neck but im only getting about 220 miles on a tank of gas (roughly 18 mpg) 

Thanks

this is classic torque bind. but the good news is that the duty c solenoid is working.

i would recommend doing a drain and fill of the ATF 3 times with driving around the block in betwen each.

this will replace most of the old fluid. then drive it in slow tight figure eights and see if the problem lessens.

dirty fluid , gummed up transfer clutch discs, and or a dirty valve body can cause binding.

i could be the clutch discs are bad, but new fluid is tyhe first step to see if it corrects the problem.

• Like 1