Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

notice anything wrong?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

So i pulled the driverside head off of my 81 hatch. First thing i noticed was a chunk out of the exhuast valve. Good to know. It explains alot... Anyway i guess ill be looking for new valves

Attached Files

#2 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

for sure you need new vlves, and have to check valve guides too! Did you find any marks in where the piece hit?

#3 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Nope. No sign of it anywhere. No marks on anything. Everything looks good except the missing piece

#4 tractor pole

tractor pole

[catch phrase here]

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Monroe, WA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

It looks as though the exhaust valve is burned and possibly the intake valve too.

Most likely if there was an obstruction the valves would be bent and not broken.

#5 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

For doing a good work, you must remove the other side head, and rebuild all the valve seats. Check the valves guides too. is this your first time doing engine works?

#6 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I was a diesel mechanic in the military. I have rebuilt one or two motors.

#7 JuhaKankkunen

JuhaKankkunen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I was a diesel mechanic in the military. I have rebuilt one or two motors.

Just for trying to help you, i recomend to do both sides of the engine. Then when you has both heads removed, check the cylinders. Sometimes it is not necesary to do a comple rebuild of the engine.

I did a complete head cylinder rebuild with complete valve work some weeks ago. If you need help, it will be a pleasure to help you!

Sorry if make mistakes writting!

#8 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Just for trying to help you, i recomend to do both sides of the engine. Then when you has both heads removed, check the cylinders. Sometimes it is not necesary to do a comple rebuild of the engine.
I did a complete head cylinder rebuild with complete valve work some weeks ago. If you need help, it will be a pleasure to help you!
Sorry if make mistakes writting!

Thanks. I appreciate it. If i could get away from work i might be able to make some progress.

#9 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I"d go get another MTR. from the JYard if you have the$$ and you can either put it in or have parts...I"ve found it easier to have a whole MTR.anymore just because they are getting harder to find-I"ve started Hoarding parts since I don"t see EA-81s in the JYd to much anymore... EA-82s are getting scarce too :( The good Old Cash for Clunkers program took out a solid stash of cars just sitting around in backyards and such and put people in Debt w/buying a new car!!

#10 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I"d go get another MTR. from the JYard if you have the$$ and you can either put it in or have parts...I"ve found it easier to have a whole MTR.anymore just because they are getting harder to find-I"ve started Hoarding parts since I don"t see EA-81s in the JYd to much anymore... EA-82s are getting scarce too :( The good Old Cash for Clunkers program took out a solid stash of cars just sitting around in backyards and such and put people in Debt w/buying a new car!!

You won't find any old subarus in the yards around here. I wish i could. I found a loyale about a year ago. Completly trashed and way over priced. I asked the fellow at the yard what he wanted for fenders and he wanted $100 a piece. Dents rust and all

#11 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Rut Row :o Looks like good old U.S.Postal service is in order EH?

#12 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

My guess is FOD hung up the exhaust valve (and possibly the intake by the looks of it), either holding it off its seat long enough to cause erosion, or nicked the valve;  From either point, exhaust erosion could have done the rest.  Replace the valve(s), check to see if the seat needs replacing, reassemble and drive for another 200k miles.

#13 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I should be getting new valves, valve seals, valve guides, new water pump, all new exhaust gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, and new front cv shafts tomorrow. I hope i have time to get everything on:-)

#14 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,538 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Nope. No sign of it anywhere. No marks on anything. Everything looks good except the missing piece

Sounds crazy, but pull the oilpan.  You want to look for any debris in the oil......possibly the valve piece.  Like I said, it sounds crazy but I just found the missing chunk from an Exhaust valve on an 06 2.5 turbo.......in the oilpan.  Don't know how it got there (PCV system?)  But it definately was the missing face of the valve.

good to do anyhow for reseal. 

#15 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I got all my stuff from rock auto. They sent me all intake valves. Freakin awesome. Anyone wanna sell me an exhaust valve

#16 91 subaru

91 subaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • miami, ok

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Im pretty sure i know the answer already but id like a bit of conformation from the "guru's". Will an exhaust valve from a 1985 brat 1.8 liter fit a head from a 1981 dl 1.8 liter hatch back? Its the same motor so it should fit right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users