Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proud New Owner of a 1985 Subaru BRAT!

tdodge41

Haven't done much to the Brat at this point. Still looking for a good way to get a pic of the exhaust. Kept the Y pipe in there and ran a pipe out the back with two chambers on it. Sounds real quiet now, which is kinda nice, considering I have gotten fix it tickets for quieter vehicles. Then a day later or so went to the junkyard to try and find some matching window cranks. Couldn't find something from a Brat, but I did find a matching set of these beauties:

Photo_Apr_07_7_11_51_PM.jpg

Which we managed to pull off this:

Photo_Apr_06_10_59_05_AM.jpg

It's possible I might be going back for the seats again this coming week.

Next on the list is to install some of the EMPI axles I just got in the mail and figuring out the issue of replacing the fuel tank. Any suggestions on that would be amazing. I have heard of using universal tanks but those look like a pain in the rump roast. Are these repairable? And what other kind of old subaru tank would work. Do I need specifically a Brat tank, or would something else work? 

Bendecker: Yea, they fit on real easy. There was a bigger ring piece that was also supposed to be on there, but I did not have clearance for. But yea, both cranks just snapped right on. Will forever be contemplating those seats that were in it as well. REAL comfy to sit in, nice high racer back.

• Like 1

Question: If I don't currently have the capitol to invest in new stripes, what is the best thing to go over the old stripes with to get them to have some color again, and stay with that color? Permanent marker? Spray paint? Auto paint? Huh?

Yesterday we changed the two front axles. Now there is a little bit of knocking in the front end when turning and going low speeds. Going to take a closer look later today and see if maybe I forgot to tighten something up, or maybe over tightened something. Who knows, it was my first time, so I am sure there is a myriad of things I could have done wrong. Also gave it an oil change and topped off all the fluids.

Also put some tires on the front end. Did 150/70/13 seeing that it is impossible to find a size I actually need, which is 185/70/13. Probably going to try and have these get me through summer and buy a new set in the fall. I have some back and forth in my wheel now though which wasn't there before the change. So now I am real lost on what the problem is. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Oh man, yea we are going through 13 in tires like you wouldn't believe. And these wheels look amazing. For real. Like... maybe the best work mechanical_misfit has ever done. Powder coating is really the best way to go for any of that stuff. I am going to try and finish up some front end stuff (already did axles, now inner and outter rods, and a wheel bearing) and then just enjoy driving it for a month or so before I tackle more work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been doing work recently, just not too much I have taken the time to write about. Have heard a funny knocking noise while accelerating in 1st and 2nd ever since I did my axle swap on the passenger side. Changed the wheel bearing this past weekend, and it didnt seem to help at all. I am thinking I am going to throw my old axle on there and see if rockauto sold me a bad one. Have shocks and new inner/outter tie rods to figure out how to do sometime soon here. 

Oh, and also, thanks to TomRhere, I have THIS trim piece:

Photo_Jun_07_10_59_57_AM.jpg

It really brings the brat together. Going out to the car show tomorrow night, will try and get it nice and cleaned up and a picture taken with those new wheels on as well. 

Edited by tdodge41
  • Like 1

Nope, these axles were brand new EMPI axles from Rock Auto. Makes me real glad I saved one of my old ones. They had ripped boots, but the joints were fine on em. Might just reboot the old ones and return the new one I bought. Does anyone have any experience warrenty-ing things from rock auto, or EMPI?

Nope, these axles were brand new EMPI axles from Rock Auto. Makes me real glad I saved one of my old ones. They had ripped boots, but the joints were fine on em. Might just reboot the old ones and return the new one I bought. Does anyone have any experience warrenty-ing things from rock auto, or EMPI?

Can't say "Warrantying" anything but returned "open/used" product was no issue.  I believe they even payed for return shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend was a busy one for working on the Brat. And with the nice weather, playing with the Brat too :) 

Finally put on those Monroe shocks from rock auto. Man do they make a difference. Gonna have to do the struts someday too, as those look pretty shot as well. 

Photo_Jun_22_7_29_23_PM.jpg

Also I got my new candy apple red powder coated skid plate from Mechanical_Misfit, finally put that on there too. Looks real nice. 

Photo_Jun_22_7_30_02_PM.jpg

And then without looking somehow THIS ended up on the tailgate. Not going to complain I guess... now people will be REAL confused.

Photo_Jun_22_7_29_13_PM.jpg

Unpictured: I rebooted an old axle, one that wasn't giving me problems, swapped it out with that 3 month old EMPI and boom, no more clicking sounds when accelerating. I still cant believe it. I am going to be going for a refund from Rock Auto today on that old axle. 

One more weekend worth of work, then I have almost all the front end stuff done! Next up, tie rods. Any and all advice would be super helpful. Do you actually need a tie rod puller? I am doing outer and inner rods, Which to me makes things easier? Hopefully? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...