Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proud New Owner of a 1985 Subaru BRAT!

tdodge41

• 1 month later...

Woohoooooo!!! Did a bunch of work on the Brat since I last posted about it. 

Brakes and rotors are done in the front. So are the inner and outer rods. Front end is riding SO smooth. Also finally have a full size spare. 

Mechanical_Misfit and I just drove to TomRHere's house about 3 hours away in the Brat and it ran great through the storm of the century. I guess there were tornados in Michigan? Who woulda thought?! Just to give a gauge of how bad it was raining, there is a pool of rain water on my full size spare tire under the hood. And there may have been some permanent bending done to my antenna. 

I now finally have matching floor mats, a plastic distributor guard, and new seals to take care of some oil leaks. Thanks Tom! Really the only guy in Michigan for an EA81 hook up. And the drivers side splash guard to go in next to the bash plate. Will post pictures after it is powder coated. 

Now before winter gets too bad I need to get the floor panels patched. Thinking pop rivets and some caulk to seal it up. I have 0 welding experience and not a lot of time, so this seems easiest. Also getting something on to fight the rust that will always come from driving in Michigan in the winter. Gonna look pretty funny for a minute there. Painting maybe in the summer. 

This morning when I went to start it up after driving home in a rain storm there was a little delay in the ignition. When I turn the key it takes a second for the engine to turn crank. Then it turns once and doesnt do anything. Gotta turn the key about 5 times before it turns over. Any idea what it could be? I was thinking maybe there is some moisture in there or something? 

And as always, if anyone knows of a push bar, topper, or gas tank in the midwest or is willing to ship any of them, let me know. 

1st, I would check the small connection at the starter, make sure it's a clean snug fit.

2nd, would be the ignition switch getting worn, not making good contact.

3rd would be the wiring connector for the ignition switch, Pink connector under steering column. Tends to get hot at connection for the White wire, then it starts losing contact.

The multiple tries then starts leads me to go for the 1st two.

Was good to have you 2 down here again. :headbang: