Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cooling system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gtb04

gtb04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • whangarei

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I got a 2004 gtb legacy, The water looks very rusty coloured, and it smells like unburnt petrol fumes in the over flow. Anyone come across this before? cheers 

#2 djmark7

djmark7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • NW New Jersey

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

head gasket? bubbles in overflow?

#3 gtb04

gtb04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • whangarei

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

Unfortunately i think you are right. Is it possible to retouqe the head bolts for an easy fix??? Heres hoping anyway. thanks

Yes it does blow bubbles.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,511 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Nope. Re torque doesn't work on these. Just gotta replace them. I'd guess you'll have some issues with corrosion on the heads around the coolant ports. The heads usually need to be resurfaced anyway.
How long have you had the car? Was the coolant green or blue-green when you bought it? (Did you check?)

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

pull heads resurface and reinstall did a 04 impreza last week had 184000kms and was leaking and burning coolant have even done them as low as 70000kms the gaskets loose there coating and there done

#6 gtb04

gtb04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • whangarei

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Nope. Re torque doesn't work on these. Just gotta replace them. I'd guess you'll have some issues with corrosion on the heads around the coolant ports. The heads usually need to be resurfaced anyway.
How long have you had the car? Was the coolant green or blue-green when you bought it? (Did you check?)

I bought it online so i couldnt view before buying but when i picked it up i did notice a bit of bubbling going on. Had it over a year now.

#7 gtb04

gtb04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • whangarei

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

pull heads resurface and reinstall did a 04 impreza last week had 184000kms and was leaking and burning coolant have even done them as low as 70000kms the gaskets loose there coating and there done

How long did it take you and is it easier to take the engine out? How hard is it? Do i need a pit? cheers

#8 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

The engine takes me 25-45 min to pull and about 1 hour to teardown two hours to prep and surface heads two hours to reassemble and a hour to install and test on a auto one i bill 10 hours and a standard one is 12 hours as it takes more time if servicing the clutch. I put the engine on a stand and disasemble the heads before i take them off the engine. I also knurll #2@#4 pistons if any piston slap thiss take 1 hour to do but makes a big difference

#9 gtb04

gtb04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • whangarei

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

dam

#10 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,511 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Ivan does Subaru repair all day every day.

You're much better off to remove the engine and put it on a stand to work.
It takes every bit of 4-5 hours to remove an engine the first time, especially a a turbo with all of the piping for that thrown into the mix. The DOHC heads need to be disassembled before they can be removed from the block. And room between the frame rails is lacking.
Resurfacing the heads is usually a half day at a machine shop, maybe longer if you have a valve job done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users