Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5mt swap 05 going into a 98 OB speedo sensor questions

Ok, my 4.11 5MT is trashed, I opened it up today and the amount of gear damage was to the point I threw in a used gear set so I could drive.  Needless to say 2nd gear syncros are GONE in that gearset.   Its got a whine to it and a pretty nasty vibration so its times limited.

What I have is a 05 Outback with a 5 speed in it, and I know its the style that uses the female inners on the axles.  So I've covered that part of the problem by using automatic stubshafts and seals.

Second part, is other than splitting the case open, buying the 2 seals and snaprings for the old style speedo gear, is there any other way around getting my speedo to work?  In reality I could care less about it, but I think its gonna set a CEL if I run without it..

I need ideas guys, springs comin fast and I want to be able to beat on the Outback and see if I can bend some more SJR lift parts.   If I cant find a way around the speedo gear, I'm gonna have to drop 500 bucks or so on a wrecked Outback/Forester just for a tranny.

One option I can think of is getting a VSS signal generator that creates a bogus speed sensor output to the ECU to make it happy.  There's got to be something like that out there.

Only other thought is trying to use the signal from the ABS tone wheels to generate a speed signal for the ECU. 

I'm wondering if a resistor pack would do it?  All the ecu really sees to turn a CEL on is resistance.   Time to dig out a FSM and start digging.  I've found one 92 4.11 5MT but its buried under the snow.  Hate to have to convert one of those to juice clutch, not sure if it' be worth drilling/tapping the bellhousing to bolt down the slave.  and then changing the pivot ball.  hrmmmm

hrmmm.  I might just have to say screw it and go buy the Phase 1 tranny.  I ended up coming up with 3 Phase 1 4.11's..  Just a little pricey..  I hate paying the same amount for the tranny as I did for the entire car in perfect running condition..