Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, it was cheap on ebay so i said, lets give it a try....

got this cheap set of axles off a 2002-2004 turbo impreza in very good condition and want  try them in my old 2nd gen leg 5MT SW.

splines wise, no problem. same

only issue i see is that collapsed total length of the shaft is about 5mm/0.2" longer than my original Leg axles.

Cant believe that mama subbie designed such a tight tolerance for shaft length, so i think it's be safe to try, but of course main worry is if these 0.2" are enough to make something solid hit in full bump (that's when the DOJ is fully into the cup).

these shafts look so much more robust that it'd be great if they'd worked!

your thoughts?

the axles 00 - 04 will work on the 95 - 99 cars, at least until they changed from axle stubs that stick out. i'm not sure when that change took place. most folks just knock off the tone ring for the abs. i have done it with no issues.

tnxs john, just what i wanted to hear :) :)

any nay sayers out there?

Reboot the axles if they have any miles on them. The right inner boot from a turbo car will tear up before you know. The outer boots could be left alone, especially if they are plastic (Hytrel).