Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It depends on the generation 4EAT trans.  What year is the 2nd gen Outback?  If it has a Phase 2 4EAT, then it is likely that the 4EAT out of the 3rd gen would work.  You still would need to match the rear diff to the final drive in the transmission.

Gen 2 is 2000-2004, yes?

In 2004 the transfer duty solenoid signal was reversed, so right off the bat the AWD won;t work.

I would be surprised if a gen3 auto trans would work in a gen2, usually just tcu compatability doesn't span an entire generation. For example, an '04 TCU is very different from an '03, and you can't swap it because the ECU is also different, and to swap the TCU and the ECU would mean replacing a hatfull of other stuff.

Somewhere in there, gen3?, the 4eat was directly controlled by the computer instead of being a mix of TCU brains and valve-body mechanical/hydraulic brains.

But, I'm far from an expert, oddities abound in the subaru world.

The main way you can tell a phase 1 4eat from a phase 2 4eat is that the plugs are slightly different.  One of the plugs should be the same, but the other won't be perfectly rectangular.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture readily available to show you....as it would make a lot more sense.

hi jack,

In 2004 the transfer duty solenoid signal was reversed,

does this mean the trans defaults to open when the dutc c fails, instead of binding?
that seems like a good thing. also good to know where the cut off line is for a compatible 99/00 - 03 auto trans.

another good way to tell the difference between phase 1 and phase 2 is the screw on filter on the driver side of the trans. kind of near the LF axle.
Edited by johnceggleston

hi jack,

does this mean the trans defaults to open when the dutc c fails, instead of binding?
that seems like a good thing. also good to know where the cut off line is for a compatible 99/00 - 03 auto trans.

another good way to tell the difference between phase 1 and phase 2 is the screw on filter on the driver side of the trans. kind of near the LF axle.

Yes, removal of power to the solenoid or failure of the solenoid and the clutchpack defaults to no lockup.

I am not sure the filter is a 100% sign of what type, as the H6 4EATs have a remote filter and a cover where the filter usually goes.