Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rad Cap dude!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TYLER R

TYLER R

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Washougal, Wa

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Alright, I think (hope) I have my problems figured out... Before I go and blow $9.63 for a standard parts store radiator cap to seal the deal, is that ok?? Do I need to run the OEM one?

All I have seen when I searched was it doesnt hurt one way or the other, but I do suck using the 'search' functions on forums...

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

If you can find one that is of the same pressure rating and quality, it should be ok.

#3 TYLER R

TYLER R

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Washougal, Wa

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Any you recomend? It is like 14 psi if I remember right??

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

I bought a Stant for my legacy, it was good quality. It looked exactly the same as the original subaru ones did.

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,548 posts
  • Texas

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

No issues with the Stant on our 03 H6 OBW

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I recently bought one from Advance Auto Parts. Can't remember which brand, but bought one of their better ones. It works just fine. So, gotta think a good one from any parts strore will work just fine.

#7 TYLER R

TYLER R

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Washougal, Wa

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Alright... does anybody know the part number for the little bleeder screw thing??

As many times as I screwed with it, I loose it on the last time....

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Alright... does anybody know the part number for the little bleeder screw thing??

I would be surprised if it had a part number, if you are talking about the plastic bleeder screw on top of the radiator. It is simply a common screw/bolt. Suggest you go to a hardware store that stocks a wide range of screw/bolt/washer/nut hardware.  Ace hardware or Lowes would carry it. You should be able to find one right away; prolly made out of metal not plastic. Use a plastic or fiber washer to create a good seal.

#9 TYLER R

TYLER R

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Washougal, Wa

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Really, wow did I get lucky.... I figured the dealer would charge like $3 for it and $2.95 for the gasket...

i will go check out the local hardware store and see what I can find.

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,852 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Radiator cap, I always use OEM. If it fails and doesn't let the cooling system open properly, you can have another sort of failure such as a blown hose or a blown head gasket. Seen a few that come in with blown head gaskets because of a faulty radiator cap or a partially restricted radiator.

#11 vasy

vasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Richmond, VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I paid about $12-14 for the plastic bleeder screw from a dealer 3 years ago. It came with an O-ring. Certainly not cheap. This thing is hollow so it can be damaged easily by over tightening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users