Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grease in oil filler tube?

Went to top off my '79 wagon with a bit of oil. It burns oil periodically, even though it only has 43k on the clock. I noticed a bit of white junk on the oil filler tube. It looked to be about the consistency of grease. Should I be panicking? The oil that was in the crank case looked very clean. The oil light on the dash is on as well, but I figured that was because of a bad sending unit. Car runs fine! Am I going to have to pull the motor and rebuild it? The top end on the right side was rebuilt before I got the car. Should I just go ahead and rebuild the left when it warns up?

Thanks!

Edited by sjschlag

Change your pcv valve. This is just condensation from biproducts of combustion. 

Never ever second guess an oil pressure light. Get a cheap oil pressure gauge and check your oil pressure. It may be a bad sender, but why risk it for the cost of 20 bucks.

You never rebuild 1/2 an engine, that is really odd.

I'll change out my PCV valve tomorrow. It looks relatively easy. If that doesn't help then it looks like the oil pump has to come out. Probably should check the pickup in the crankcase too. Anyone rebuilt one of these oil pumps before? Looks like a piece of cake to take out, but is it as simple to fix?

oil pump is easy to reseal but hard to get out of block somtimes have had to losen the front block bolts to get it out change sender first. The stuff in the oil filler is blow by minoir not a problem comes from runing on cold wet days change pcv and pcv fillter might help. Run it with the oil cap off ans see if it pulses smoke out the filler if it do's then mabee a cracked ring land. Then comp test should have a min of 125 psi

I'll change out my PCV valve tomorrow. It looks relatively easy. If that doesn't help then it looks like the oil pump has to come out. Probably should check the pickup in the crankcase too. Anyone rebuilt one of these oil pumps before? Looks like a piece of cake to take out, but is it as simple to fix?

The stuff is just Condensation-Cold,Wet Mornings cause this-It"s normal....The Oil Light-Put on a mechanical gauge to check the Oil pressure 1st before you do anything!! These Motors are designed to use a little Oil between changes-The Book says 1/2-1QT. 2500-3500Miles,I always change My Oil 25-3000Miles anyway since I Flog My Cars-It Keeps them Happy!!! Oh yea about the Oil Pump Rebuild-Do Not Pry on it to get it out...You"ll break it....To take it out leave the filter on and take the bolts out-Get the pump to turn/move before you try taking it out-use the Oil filter so you have leverage to turn the pump this helps loosen it up-varnish and makes it easier to get out...If it has good O.P.and isn"t leaking wouldn"t mess W/It....Good Luck  

Edited by 88wacaroo

Well, I replaced the PCV valve. I'm hoping it helps clear out some of that condensate.

I've noticed that the oil light comes on as the car warms up. When the car is cold, the light is off, or as it warms up the light gets brighter at lower RPMs. When you rev the engine, the light seems to get dimmer. My guess is that as the engine warms up and the oil gets thinner, the pump has trouble picking it up and maintaining pressure. Think it's time for a new oil pump? My boss recommended changing the oil to a 40 or 50 weight... Something a little heavier.

Thanks!

Edited by sjschlag

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new oil pump today. Threw it on the wagon and put some fresh 10w 40 in there. Fired the car up, and still had a constant oil light! I hooked up my oil pressure gauge, and it showed I was getting a constant 60 psi! So we know we have enough oil pressure. Could it just be a bad oil pressure sensor?