Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat makes interesting mystery sound?!?

Only has the vacuum actuator if it has AC. I've got three, gutted 2 others at the PnP and don't remember having seen the actuator on non-AC Brats. It's for the recirculation door for max AC. You're heater controls would have to be in the max AC position for it to be getting vacuum so either they have failed or the incoming vacuum line could have a hole. Look for any vacuum lines coming through the firewall from the engine. If you see one, then pull the kick panel and check. Easy fix.

Only has the vacuum actuator if it has AC. I've got three, gutted 2 others at the PnP and don't remember having seen the actuator on non-AC Brats. It's for the recirculation door for max AC. You're heater controls would have to be in the max AC position for it to be getting vacuum so either they have failed or the incoming vacuum line could have a hole. Look for any vacuum lines coming through the firewall from the engine. If you see one, then pull the kick panel and check. Easy fix.

Not true my 1980 ea81 has a vaccumme actuator for the hvac it's never had ac, I think it's for defrost not sure. It's under the glove box you'll have to remove the plastic peice that covers it.

Edited by mikaleda

We're talking gen 2 here not 1st gen. You have an 'AC ready' Brat. That means that AC could have been added at the dealer if the  customer decided the wanted it. I checked my 3 Brats, and my 2 AC Brats have  it, the non does not. Also, no push buttons for HVAC on Brats. None the less, look for a vacuum line on the passenger side going through the firewall and if you have it, pull the kick panel.

I know there is a vacuum actuator behind the kick panel on the passenger side. FSM show it to be connected via intake. I would check that out, and make sure the hose is on/intact.

The heater/defrost controls run off that vacumn.  You should notice that floor/defrost/bi-level settings won't change when you push the button.

It's for the defrost its still an ea81 body style.

Ok. Here we go again.... It is for max AC recirculation. It changes the door in the heater box from outside to inside air so you can keep cooling the same air in the cabin and not waste 'energy' trying to cool incoming air. It has NOTHING to do with defrost. Look at the pics below. This is an HVAC panel out of a Brat . The vacuum switch is attached to the plate and activated by the mode lever. The first pic is defrost. The lever is nowhere near the switch. Second pic, lever full left, is max AC. The FSM vacuum diagram shows the routing, switch, actuator and door and even labels it inside and outside air.

Addition: Gen2 BRAT mode controls are lever actuated, NOT vacuum. It's not a debate, it's a fact.

post-2675-0-37797400-1364669254_thumb.jpg

post-2675-0-08271000-1364669278_thumb.jpg

Edited by skishop69

It's all good. I was a little cranky due to a transmission job on a Blazer yesterday. What I was pointing out is that the Brat controls are a little different for non AC. The Gen2 Brat, Hatch and Coupe all have the same controls, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong here) the Wagon has the push button. The Chilton's does not differentiate this. I have one of those and have found several discrepancies. Even All Data has omissions and they paid Subaru to copy the FSM. When I had the chance to purchase the FSM for my Brats and XT's, I did. Almost every GL Brat I've come across was either AC ready or had AC. Very few had neither. On the off chance someone removed the actuator from my non AC rig, then I would be wrong. That being said, if someone has a non AC/AC ready Gen2, check and let me know. I just know mine doesn't have it, and I don't recall seeing it in the few I've come across at PnP.

It's all good, I was grumpy too from trying to do the rear wheel bearings on my gl :lol:

This isn't the chilitons you buy at a parts store this is an import car repair Manuel it has all import cars 80-87. Yes I know typically chilitons Manuel's will leave things out but, this is one of the better ones. I think that the vaccumme actuators main function is to change from fresh air to recirculating, the 2nd gen brats may have something differant.