Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Subaru Impreza sport manual transmission oil type.

Hi,

I need to top off my 2009 Subaru Impreza transmission oil.

I read the manual and it states under the "Recommend grade and viscosity"

Each oil manufacturer has its own base oils and additives.

"NEVER USE DIFFERENT BRANDS TOGETHER"

It states to use GL5  75w - 90w.

I'm guessing I have to go to my Subaru dealer and purchase the subaru GL5 grade oil. Is that correct?

Or can I use a different brand and buy it locally and top of the oil?

I don't want to mix and match.  what do you recommend?

thank you for your help!!

JAG

What's the reason on why you're having to top it off? How low is it? It might be easier to just drain and refill the transmission and use an oil from the parts store. The dealer probably uses some bulk 75w90 gear oil that comes in a big drum. If you want, you can use the Subaru Extra S gear oil but it's fairly expensive and it's the only OEM gear oil that I know of.

Thanks for helping here.

My Subaru only has 26K on it and shifts like new!

I checked the Manual transmission oil and the level was below the Full line and thought I could top it off. There are no leaks but it's been 4 years that it has not been check. I should know better and check often.

So what your saying is, not to just get a GL5  75w-90w from a local store and top off and mix with the old Oil  but drain my current oil and get the correct amount of NEW GL5 75w-90w from the local auto store and refill and I'm good?

Again, thanks for helping!

JAG

Subaru recommends the transmission fluid being changed every 30k miles, along with the rear diff gear oil. Since you are close enough to the service interval, probably should do the 30k mile service (engine air filter, cabin air filter, oil change, transmission fluid, rear diff fluid, spark plugs, brake fluid). If the coolant color is BLUE, then it has a 100k mile service change.

Caboobaroo

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I change the oil every 5K. I already changed  the air and cabin filter at 15k. I'll now do the rear diff and transmission oil and will do the brake fluid and spark plug change at 30K.

One more question if you don't mind:

The manual says to use the GL5 (75w - 90) fo both the rear diff and tranny.

0.8 US qt.for the rear diff and 3.7 US qt. for tranny.  Do you think it would be OK to get the 5 quarts of the Valvoline/1 qt. 75W-90 high performance gear oil  at Autozone for $6.99 or should I go with the more expensive Subaru (75w - 90). Extra S gear oil for $15 a quart? Does it matter?

Thanks,  

JAG

Edited by jagrunner2602

Not synthetic, even though at least one on-line retailer has mistakenly listed it as synthetic. maybe they corrected it by now? (Fredbeans.com)

On older transmissions, folks have tried synthetic and reports were not good as the synchronizers would not spin-up fast enough.

thee is a HUGE thread at NASIOC (scotty's cocktail) about people trying to get theire transmissions to better with different fluids. It's crazy. But, you could search through it for comments about Motul, Redline, Mobil 1,  Royal Purple, Valvoline, etc.

I've had good luck with Redline Lightweight Shockproof, but it doesn't really save you any money. Going to use Extra-S at my next fluid change. But, I also use the time side of the schedule. (2006 WRX at 44K miles)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I'm sold!  I'm going to order the 5 qts of Extra-S and want to do it right. The car runs fantastic and just to have a piece of mind that's it's all good that I used the best of the best for my Subaru!

Yes, I read some of the NASIOC threads.

Yes, I'm going to order from Fredbeans.com. I did see it listed on some vendor site that said it was synthetic and that's why I asked the question because lots of people say not to use synthetic oil in a Subaru.

thanks alot for you help!!

JAG

I recomend to fill it 1/2 L over full seems to help the rear diff hold up i think it gets starved for oil being so high up in back of trans i put 4.2 L in all of them and a lighter synthetic gear oil works best to heavy and will shift slow. Have had a few come in with atf in trans dident hurt anything and boy do they shift good.but not recomended

THanks!  I will order and change when the oil comes in.

I will keep you posted!

That makes sense to go with 4.2 liters = 4.5 quarts of oil.

The manual says .08 quarts for the Diff and 3.7 quarts for the Tranny.

Thanks for helping with this great info!

JAG

with the rear of the car on jack stands, I had to use my floorjack's platform on the end of the 1/2" breaker bar to get the plugs loose. Cheater pipe probably work OK too. On your 2009, you may have 13mm square (most people find the 1/2" breaker bar will work OK) or you may need to buy a T-70 torx bit. You can get then Autozone I think, goy mine from Amazon IIRC.

it can also be tricky filling the rear diff. I bought a gear oil pump like this;

81yLYBBjLqL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bring all up to date.

I got 5 quarts of Extra S gear oil from eBay for a $ 75 tothe door and finally had the time to change. I had no issues taking any of the
plugs out. I found that I was a half quart low in the tranny.

I was able to vacuum all the old BLACK oil from the front and back to make sure I got all the old
stuff out. The magnet was pretty caked and cleans that off.

All set with the change and want thank all who help me from this thread!

Thank you!

JAG

Good for you.

I went with the Extra S because that is the best and what subaru should use from what I read. Yes I could have put in another brand that I almost did but I just didn't want to take the chance using a cheaper oil. I got 5 quarts of Extra S for $75 to the door.

I bought my 2009 impreza sport outback new and never change the diff or front tranny/diff in 29,000 miles. The fluid was in bad shape in both the rear diff and tranny. After changing to Extra S  it was amazing how the car shifted into each gear.Amazing!!! It shifted better then the day I got the car new. I'll stick with the Extra S and will change at the next 30K.

JAG