Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 turbochargers?

The IHI RB5 VF7 (I think that I recalled that correctly) is pretty much a forgotten and ignored stepchild.

Most people seem to favor upgrading to the VF11 off of the Legacy, or using a TD04.  I can't remember offhand of the VF11 requires flange modifications, but the TD04 does.

(Apologies in advance if I remembered some of this incorrectly... It's been a elevated-migraine day this week.)

• 1 year later...

What are the advantages / dis advantages of running the VF11 or TD04.

Faster spool?

More top end flow?

What about putting the TD04 compressor wheel on the stock IHI turbo?

They are floating around fle bay for only $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261654977211?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261656209582?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Subarus have mostly used the IHI VF series turbochargers over the years.  Early VF (EA81T/EA82T) might have some parts that cross over to the VJ series.

The advantage of running a VF11 or TD04L?  They are available.  They may also be too large for the flow our engines can deliver at lower RPMs, but I have never been able to find any compressor maps for these two turbos, so have been unable to run the number properly.  Sure, they will have better top end, but that is all they will have.

I will be moving to a VF11 at some point, but it will take significant modification to my existing header/downpipe.

You can make hybrids of the older RHB52 turbos. You can also make TD04 hybrids also, such as the popular 19T upgrade.

VF11 and the TD04L-13T would be very similar in output and spool and I don't think it would be THAT much more laggy than a vf7. The real benefit is that the MHI (TD04) turbos are newer and much more easily rebuilt.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

TD04L-13T seems to be a perfect match for the EA82T engine in my opinion. Spools pretty quick but goes up all the way to the redline. With better exhaust manifold it comes on from around 2400rpm and boosts 1 bar at around 2800rpm. Original RHB52 or VF7 boosts almost from the 2000rpm but is really restrictive in the upper rpm range. 

• Like 1

Well first off TD04L compressor housing won't just bolt on to the VF7. VF11 compressor and wheel would fit better to the original VF7 but still should be balanced after that. There isnkind of no point doing hybrid turbo from original and TD04/VF11 parts. Just get a hold of complete new turbo and change or mod the flanges to fit the new one. But once again it's just my opinion.

EDIT: Oh and probably you will get somenboosy creep due to the small turbine housing if you fit VF11 or similar compressor to the original turbo. I know I did and that's the reason I changed to complete TD04L-13T from newer subaru and it's just perfect now.

Edited by -tombba-
  • Like 1

Thanks Tombba.  Why did you get boost creep?  VF11 compressor on a VF7 Turbo???  What exactly was your setup?

Hybrid turbos are popular among my VW TDI crowd.   They provide great spool up.   Which fits my application of Daily Driver and off road trails.   I realize if I take to the track and wind it out; it will suffer and egt will rocket.   I might have to mod the compressor housing but thats what a lathe is for.

A 2.5" dp and divorced WG will help get gas through the choke point.  (My current project.)

Well my setup was original turbo turbine side but VF11 compressor housing and wheel fitted to it. What I think happens wit it isbthat the smaller turbine housing can now keep turning at more higher speeds since the compresaor side isn't so restrictive anymore. Original turbo tends to be restrictive from compressor side at higher revs since it's so small. But no real info why it did that but boost started to build over the wanted level after around 5000 rpm level with that setup. Ane by the way I did have 3" bellmouth downpipe with it.

Well my setup was original turbo turbine side but VF11 compressor housing and wheel fitted to it. What I think happens wit it isbthat the smaller turbine housing can now keep turning at more higher speeds since the compresaor side isn't so restrictive anymore. Original turbo tends to be restrictive from compressor side at higher revs since it's so small. But no real info why it did that but boost started to build over the wanted level after around 5000 rpm level with that setup. Ane by the way I did have 3" bellmouth downpipe with it.

It did that because at a given RPM you would be moving more air with the VF11 compressor.  More air in means more exhaust coming out.  Eventually your little VF7 wastegate couldn't bypass enough exhaust gas around the turbine to keep the boost in check, which caused a boost spike.