Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL Heater Blower Issues

Been having heater blower issues with my '86 GL Three Door.  I've been through just about every blower troubleshooting thread on here and haven't solved the issue, so figured I'd ask.

The blower has always been sort of intermittent, as in it would take turning it on/off and cycling the speed switch a bit to get to start (only on cold starts, once it was going it wouldn't stop for the rest of the trip).  Finally it's decided to not turn on at all.

I started by checking the relay, and it is actuating (as in I can feel it click when I turn the switches on/off).  I have since replaced the control switch (one with all the vacuum lines running out the back) as my old one was crumbling.  I have power to that switch, and I'm assuming to the relay since it's working.  Also, the under dash "fan" fuse is alright.  I dug deeper, and ended up replacing the fan resistor, as a few of the coils were broken.  That didn't help.  On a last ditch effort I just picked up a new blower motor, and after plugging it in, it still wouldn't work.

So, where to look next?  I think they only fuses/relays associated with this motor are the under dash relay and fuse in the panel, am I missing one?  Last time I checked, I didn't have power to the speed selector switch, should I?  And finally, I can't seem to find a powered lead on the harness for either the blower or resistor, should I? 

Thanks in advance.  I've searched this forum for the past few weeks to try and resolve this issue and still haven't figured it out.

^The speed selector switch or the main switch?  I definately have power to the first, and last I checked I didn't have any to the selector switch (though I could have made a mistake or something, I'll recheck.  Just tired of tearing this darn dash apart haha).  Thanks!

Just double checked the speed switch, no power there.  And after problem the pinout of the switch, it would appear to be working correctly.  So it seems to me like this would be a relay/fuse issue.  The relay that was actuating was located under the dash next to the headlight relays and others (there were four total), is there another one I need to check?

no i think you got it all...lol... this is a head scratcher... check for voltage to the fan connection then start working your way back the best you can,

but what im understanding is that your speed selector switch is not hot??? and yur power switch is???.. there should be power to the selector as it controls voltage to the blower motor make sure there is voltage in route to you blower...

id reall have to have it n my face to get it spot on sorry im shooting in the dark

there are 4 wires going to the relay , one set is the coil. the other  two are for the contacts or load , it is possible for the relay to click and the relay not work. the contacts could be burned  , you may even get  continuity with a volt meter, but when you try to pull a load thru them it will  not work.  . try bypassing the relay with a jumper.

Edited by ivantruckman
  • Like 1

I had similar problem with my '91 EA82 wagon; the heater blower had a life of its own and often refused to work but, since rebuilding the engine, the problem has gone away. The only thing that could have made a difference in my case is the fact that I had all the earth straps (ground straps) off. Since they have been put back there's no problem. It occurred to me that you might check all your earth cables too. 

Problem solved, relay must have had burned contacts on the inside, but was still actuating.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Funny though, every parts store listed the blower motor relay for an '86 GL as a rectangular relay that exists nowhere on my car as far as I know.  I found the relay I needed by just looking up the part number.

• 3 months later...

Hello TOSborn,

Been desperately trying to solve what seems to be an identical problem in my 86 Brat. I ordered a Replacement Blower motor relay, and when it came in it was the larger rectangular type you mentioned . Could not find the match for that part anywhere on the vehicle~Took it to a garage and the mechanic had the same luck I did. Ordered the part, and the large rectangular one came in.So I'm not really certain of the relay location or the correct replacement part at this point. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.Below is the post regarding a possible replacement relay I came across. You can review my earlier post on this to see where I've started from. Thanks!~

OK~ So no real progress to speak of for the AC/Blower motor issue. Life's been too busy.

Found a part that might be the relay I need. Here's the link:

http://www.davesdisc...witches&mode=PA

Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance~

Bratmobile