Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front wheel sound

Have 1987 gl that has a grinding,popping sound coming from right front wheel area.Lifted tire up and checked for play.None.So it must not be bearing.Had cv axle and ball joint replaced.Noise stopped for 3 days then started again.Changed cone washer and spring washer and castle nut.Did'nt make difference  .It's been 1 month now and seems to have gotten a little worse.  What gives? Need help!Ihad looked at by 3 different mechanics.They all feel its not wheel bearing because wheel is not loose when shaken.They can't figure it out.Is there a real subaru gl mechanic out there who has an idea about this?

Edited by used car

Yes it is the bearing most likely.  They are fairly easy to do.  be sure to use sythetic red bearing grease and buy new seals.  If you can afford it do both sides.  Pay attention to how the seals are placed because for the average mechanic they appear backwards but really are installed correctly.

Eric

i had this same problem on one side. changed out the bearing boom fixed. then the other side started. something was also loosening my castle nut. now ive replaced all the same as you (cv, ball joint, hub, cone washer*ETC.) i also had my brake bracket get grinded down. today i put it back together and ill let you know where i get. my bearing looks brand new. but i think im replacing the bearing next if it doesnt go away. 

Ill keep you posted. 

I'm the guy with noisy wheel Thanks you guy's for the advice about replacing wheel bearing.I thought the wheel should feel loose when lifted off ground and shaken in the 12 & 6 o'clock position.It is not loose!   Is that alway's true .I will replace bearing anyway.  Please reply

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is the bearing most likely.  They are fairly easy to do.  be sure to use sythetic red bearing grease and buy new seals.  If you can afford it do both sides.  Pay attention to how the seals are placed because for the average mechanic they appear backwards but really are installed correctly.

Eric

Eric ,Why are u sure it is bearing.     used car

A bearing can make all sorts of noise, and not be loose.  It can make no noise at all, and be ready to fall off the car.  Either way, it is time, or past time, to replace.  If you wait until it shakes, the likelihood of doing even more damage is very good.

there is a cone washer and a spring washer. the spring washer needs to "point" out with the convex side. if not done correctly, your castle nut will back out. this can also occur if the splines in the hub are worn/stripped

wooo! 1000 posts, and a couple may have even been correct

Edited by Subruise
  • Like 2