Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 vs. EJ18 difference

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nebivedu

Nebivedu

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ljubljana(SLOVENIA)

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:46 AM

What are noticeable differences between those two engines?

#2 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:35 AM

The EJ18 is a 1.8 liter version of the EJ22. Looks like a smaller EJ22 basically. They also had an EJ16, but it wasn't available in the US. Notable differences are single timing belt, and distributorless ignition. I THINK the EJ18 is multivalve like the EJ22 but that I am not sure about.

#3 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:17 AM

Hey

All EJxxx engines are 16 valve either DOHC or SOHC EJ18 was usually SOHC SPFI or MPFI..we (Barbados) actually got Carbed EJ18s in '90 legacy's but I was told this I haven't actually seen this for myself..ej18s rev faster have more power rev higher. The hydraulic lash adjusters are smaller and less prone to clatter (but they still will) like all ej engines the block is a 5 main bearing design unlike ea which is 3. ej18 has an intake and exhaust port for each cylinder. ej18 is also mostly open deck in design..it isn't a bad little block God knows Subaru should'a used it in the Loyale and easily could have, but water under the bridge..

#4 suba

suba

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • moscow, ID

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

along similar lines then... are ea82's and ea82T's not overhead cam? and what exactly is the major difference between ea81 and 82 series engines?

#5 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:54 PM

EA81's are overhead valve, EA82's are single overhead cam. EA81's use timing gears (very durable), and EA82's use timing belts. There are many many differences, but those are the big ones.

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:43 PM

All EA82 engines are two valves per cylender, while all EJ engines are multivalve. The EA82 has 3 main bearings while the EJ has 5. EJ is still in use after approx. 15 years and the E!82 was last used in 1994, does that tell you anything about which engine is better? HAHAHA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users