Ultimate Subaru Message Board

duel E brake

Uberoo

One of the popular ways of controlling wheel spin offroad is run duel e brakes to selectively lock the front wheel that has no traction so the wheel with traction will turn.Dune buggies have "turning/cutting" brakes that apply to the rear wheels to turn if the front gets light.On those they have a hydraulic cylinder positioned above and below the fulcrum of the lever.So that when you push the lever forward the upper one compresses,and when you pull the lever back the lower one compresses.Could the same idea work with E brake cables?Or would there be too much slack in the loose cable to make it work?

They already have a twin stick setup writeup on here if you're looking for that.

If you want a proper dual action e-brake lever, converting it to pushrod would be a better option than slacked cables.

Standard tension on the cables to prevent slacking and make the lever push on the appropriate mechanism to make the desired cable move.

Not too terribly complicated to sketch up, but somewhat difficult to put into practice.

Twitch

With line locks, you still have to step on the brake to apply pressure to the brakes. Then enage the lock to hold whichever wheels ya want.

I think itd be pretty easy to have a handbrake for each corner, using just junkyard parts. (Well, except for maybe a fabricated bracket for the mounting of the handles)

That's my theory, but i havent done it yet, so i dunno. One of these days!

Edited by spazomatic

I've been trying to find that write for awhile but the new search functions are limited.  Anyone know where to find it?  Numbchux?

Well... when I Wrote the Writeup about to retrofit a Rear e-Brake on a EA82 with Rear Disc Brakes, I mentioned that you could leave the original (Stock) Front e-Brake intact while you install the Rear e-Brake, so you'll have Twin Handles... but there's No Specific writeup beside that, as far as I Recall.

Kind Regards.

I don't remember there being a write-up. I just bolted in another handle, and hooked up the 2 cables to the separate handles. Done.

I found I couldn't get enough pull going straight to the cable.  Also they didn't line up well.

So what I did, was to use the original piece that connected the 2 cables, and removed the cable from the one side.  Then I bolted the open side to the body, as a pivot point.  Repeat for both handles.  This almost doubles the cable pull, although it increases the effort needed but I got strong arms.

I'll try to post some pics.

The original poster said he didna want any more handles .On top of the fact he has his t-case shifter in the original location.  Don't get me wrong, I would just use the handles.  

Maybe you should post pics of your trouble area, uberoo..