Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its buggy time agian

ivans imports

used up 20 cut off wheels last year cut of every extra bracket ear ect we cut of all the extra ears of engine lightened the uper bodywork. As mutch weight as we added with front end parts i removed off the front body. As for my trashed rack anybody have a 85 gl non power rack ? I'm ordering the replacment pistons today I can buy them as indavidules so orderd up 2 one to fix broken one and one for spare. The engine runs so good still even with only 110 psi on #3 pulls 115 psi oil preshure when started cold no smoke out the pipe. Anyway time is runing down fist race is coming so time to sort out all the bugs

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still in need of a rack but temp fixed it with a 81 gl rack and homemade tie rod extentions worked very well i can turn agian so new struts strut blocks cvs turbo leg on inside cv xt 6 on outside and new berrings ball joints and tie rods thiss will titen it up a bitt and give more clearance from cv to stearing

Dam legacy axles are 1 inch longer pain in arse oh well had to re redoo the axles back to stock xt 6 axles with legacy iner ends for clearance to stering rod front end is back in and looks good gained some clearance and is way tighter now. My new pistons should be here today or tommorow then time to do engine agian.

I found a rack that will work 86 gl thanks for looking everyone still waiting for the new pistons to get here. Then if i can get away from the endless line of broken subaru engines to work on my own broken subaru engine. Has been a long week 5 engine jobs in a line 2 down 3 to go

The short wheelbase makes it look like it would tip over pretty easy at speed, that it would be tough to keep it in a straight line over rough terrain.  Cool idea though.

Too bad you don't like to go wheelin', I'd love to see that thing tackle Evans Creek at the end of July.  You oughtta bring it down.

The short wheel base makes it very stable is a square so has a very good stance and have had it at very high speed on rough terain no problems it dose well on tough truck corses. Dont get me wrong i take it out every chance i get but having it get taken away for runing in the bush with no inshurance or in regulated areas is no good out here they have been after ofroaders and handing out hudge fines. anyway i whould love to bring it down but have full race season to do first. So i pulled the engine apart found #3 piston had indeed hit the head and colapsed the top ring land and damaged the piston bore is ok so new piston in head gaskets will be here today and back togther it gos took me 20 min to pull engine the rest looks good still seeing it only had 3 hours of run time on it. On the bright side the brakes are super crazy good stops fast and has way better holdback

Engine is fixed runs spanky good now had it pulling wheels off the ground up my street yesterday. I can hit the 3500 stall now is a kick in the pants when you let off the brakes and hit the gas at 3500 the turbo is spooled and she feels like its ready to tear its self apart. I also figured out that i cant stear if my front wheels arnt on the ground.

2013-06-16105001_zps24f02e13.jpg

no wonder the alignment was all screwy.  these holes are egged forward 10mm, which gave this side some wild toe in

2013-06-16115211_zps03f5bb41.jpg

2013-06-16120339_zps1cda30f3.jpg

eyeballing the alignment with everything tacked in place and bolts in - looks good (ish)

2013-06-16121736_zpsc783aa0e.jpg

pre-weld pic of the doubled up brackets.  we plug welded and re drilled the holes to get them in the right place.  

2013-06-16162725_zps35427d95.jpg

beefed up the inside of the arm with a plate and some rod and whatnot.  thanks travis for the late in the day reinforcements (bad pun intended)

2013-06-16175048_zpsdb4f3a18.jpg

walked away sunday night with it almost back together - hope it all works man, haha. definitely stronger now, and straight for the time being....

Edited by matts87glsedan

Is very strait thanks Matt and Travis good huslle the back is way stronger and wheels point were they should Did the crazyest front wheel burnout while the rear axles were out rear brake fwd is interesting with bald 16 chev wheels on it. Is realy coming togther now few more things to button up engine runing strong still

Well axles were duds broke my welds on first try next is some heat treatment and a lot biger and hotter welder. A freind sugested to us that a mig weld is hard and brittle and a arc weld is more flexabble and stronger the axle shaft material is a hard meatal to weld to so we will shrink fitt it togther and try welding it agian

rosette weld ? defanatly needs a hoter weld my welder is a wimp sending them off to welding shop with preheating abillitys and high amp welder. A'm very glad we tried them before race at least we found out before the old ones still work fine and since matt straitened up the rear end the axles should hold up better. I also dialed back the waste gate was at 20 psi droped it to 10 psi to try and keep engine togther then can slowly increase the boost as needed

so, its race weekend coming up - flooding is rampant across the plains, and heavy rainstorms blast the interior two or three times a week.  We hide under car shelters and wait.  As the first race approaches, the instructions get a little more serious.  " do not leave your lane - if you are leading, and you cross over, you will get t-boned... " 

and "it lights on fire, and explodes sometimes"

yea birthday party

he forgot the never let of ever unless your on fire or upside down so 3 coats of clear coat some super slipy wax and shes almost ready and back to the same old rear axles at least they are tested and true. Is not as snapy with 10 psi verses 20 psi but will hold up and engine may have a chance