Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 in Dominican Republic, tell me what you see.

By seeing your Photos, if I were you, I would swap a Weber Carburator on that engine and I would get Rid of all the emmissions Stuff, such like Canister and EGR valve, But I believe you want to Keep it Stock, isn't it?

Also, the egine's Head Gaskets might be Worn out... Have you considered a Full Engine Reseal?

Kind Regards.

Proyect: Take apart the whole truck down to the last bolt and rebuild....that's the idea.

The Weber is a "must have" of course, the idea of keeping the Brat "stock" is to keep it "simple" just the way it was designed.

If someone can confirm that pics 2 and 3 are EGR related.......those parts will be removed because I'm at sea-level.

Never seen those 2 sensors on pic 1.

Until I'm able to take apart the engine, the "bump" on pic 4 will keep me wondering if the valve blocks are from an EA63.

Guys, thanks a lot.

Sure you can remove it,but,you need to recurve the distributor to restore stock performance.

With EGR removed,ignition timing will be overadvanced under cruise conditions(when the egr operates) because of incresed cylinder filling and the resulting higher cylinder pressures.

If you back off the base timing to compensate,you will lose performance under non cruise conditions(anything above about 1/3 throttle)

2nd minor issue is the increase in engine pumping losses which will decrease MPG slightly.

Think of the engine as an air pump.It takes more energy to pump more air.Any air previously displaced by egr flow now needs energy to be pumped through the engine.

An electric fan is a good analogy.

Restrict airflow by putting a piece of carboard near the fan and you can hear the fan speed up.