Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam angle sensor faulty ? How to locate and repair

Engine runs well at times then just cuts out. Solved by pedal flat to the floor. Any thoughts. Is it the cam angle sensor. I have a 1998 AWD Legacy station wagon that has just pasted the 420,000 Kim's mark. It's my my 5th subject wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine runs well at times then just cuts out. Solved by pedal flat to the floor. Any thoughts. Is it the cam angle sensor. I have a 1998 AWD Legacy station wagon that has just pasted the 420,000 Kim's mark. It's my my 5th subject wagon.

Is the check engine light on?

Well someone must have moved this to the new gen forum.

Like I said before first step is to see if your check engine light is on, if it is then you will want to get the codes scanned. Some auto parts stores will scan it for you and give you the code, if you do that and post the code up here we can tell you what it is.

Sounds more like a Throttle position sensor.  Check it's adjustment.  If the "closed/idle" contacts are closing a bit early, it can cause fuel cut a light throttle coasting.  Then you have to stab the gas to get it back.  ussually accompanied by a bit of bucking, espescially in a M/T car.

Cam sensor going out wouldn't be helped by flooring it, if anything the opposite.

Could also be a faulty fuel pump.  Perhaps install a gauge and drive for a bit and watch the pressure when it's stumbling.  If the pressure runs low, that could be why a Full Throttle fuel dump could be just enough umphh to kick in and run again.