Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cam angle sensor faulty ? How to locate and repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clippers

Clippers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Engine runs well at times then just cuts out. Solved by pedal flat to the floor. Any thoughts. Is it the cam angle sensor. I have a 1998 AWD Legacy station wagon that has just pasted the 420,000 Kim's mark. It's my my 5th subject wagon.

#2 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Welcome aboard, Clippers.  You might want to post your questions in the "New Gen--1990 to present" forum--you'll get more response there.

#3 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Welcome Clippers!

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Welcome aboard, Clippers.  You might want to post your questions in the "New Gen--1990 to present" forum--you'll get more response there.

+1 yep you'll definatly get more help posting on new gen.

#5 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Engine runs well at times then just cuts out. Solved by pedal flat to the floor. Any thoughts. Is it the cam angle sensor. I have a 1998 AWD Legacy station wagon that has just pasted the 420,000 Kim's mark. It's my my 5th subject wagon.

Is the check engine light on?

#6 farmer

farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • DSM, Ia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

See if the thread on "Erratic Issues" sounds like what it's doing.

Edited by farmer, 20 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#7 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Well someone must have moved this to the new gen forum.

Like I said before first step is to see if your check engine light is on, if it is then you will want to get the codes scanned. Some auto parts stores will scan it for you and give you the code, if you do that and post the code up here we can tell you what it is.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,038 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sounds more like a Throttle position sensor.  Check it's adjustment.  If the "closed/idle" contacts are closing a bit early, it can cause fuel cut a light throttle coasting.  Then you have to stab the gas to get it back.  ussually accompanied by a bit of bucking, espescially in a M/T car.

Cam sensor going out wouldn't be helped by flooring it, if anything the opposite.

Could also be a faulty fuel pump.  Perhaps install a gauge and drive for a bit and watch the pressure when it's stumbling.  If the pressure runs low, that could be why a Full Throttle fuel dump could be just enough umphh to kick in and run again.

#9 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • N. California

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

TPS sounds about right. I had some problems like that with mine. I fixed it by removing the TPS and spraying potentiometer cleaner (the lubricated kind) inside a crack while turning it.

#10 Legback

Legback

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Yarmouth Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

My money is on the fuel pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users