Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Shocks

Hi everyone,

I would like to replace the rear shocks on my 89 GL Wagon,4WD. What would be a good brand to use?

I have looked at Rock Auto Parts but don't see any listed for my car. Are the shocks for the wagon the same as the sedan? I seem to have found a number for AC Delco and two numbers for KYB, but not sure of which KYB numbers are correct.

AC# 530-101

KYB# 341065

KYB# 341063

Also, are there any stronger springs that can be installed to handle heavier loads?

Thanks, Mark

kyb's are good in my experiance, wagons are differant than sedans i beleive, and for the beffier springs you might want to look at some of loyal2.7's write ups he has done alot of stuff like that, assuming you have an ea82 design.

Edit; I just came accross this in the usrm

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

It's for loyals, but a loyal and gl have a lot of similarities.

Edited by mikaleda

I just got a set of Gabriels for about $80 all the way around for my 89 XT .  They seem fine, night and day over what was on there.

Is your XT 2WD or 4WD?  I have had trouble finding numbers for 4WD XTs.

(OP: Sorry for the mini-hijack.)

Is your XT 2WD or 4WD?  I have had trouble finding numbers for 4WD XTs.

(OP: Sorry for the mini-hijack.)

Mine is 4WD, but I got 2WD struts for the fronts to lower it 2" or so.  They were $43 from Rockauto.  I got 2WD for the back and it raised it 1", to my surprise.  They were $40 on ebay.

Hey Mark.   I just put new KYB's on the rear of my '85 GL Wagon 4x4.  I used the 341216.  These will fit your 89.

I also put the KYB 341216 on my 85 GL Wagon FWD.   They also worked.   It seemed to me when doing my research that the manufacturers of shocks decided to split the difference between the 4WD and FWD rear shocks.    Now they just make one shock that fits both applications.

Remember, I talking rear shocks.