Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Halfshaft Headache

Hi Everyone,

So I ordered some halfshafts for my 89 GL wagon, 4WD manual trans. The parts web site was showing a 25 spline axle for my car. Well guess what? Car has 23 spline. The shafts are APW and even their web site showed the 25 spline for the 4WD wagon. So now my car is sitting on jack stands until the correct parts come in. :(  So my question is, what type trans have what splines and how would one know what he has without taking the thing apart? This trans is a DR. The parts house said it was thier fault and are making things rite. However it looks to me that the supplier gave them the wrong info. Are Subarus really that mysterious?

This car has 259000 miles on it and none of the front end parts have been replaced or taken apart. Even the brake pads have never been replaced. It really gave me a fight taking things apart. Then I changed the left halfshaft on my friends 2000 Legacy and that was easy, smooth as slik. Oh well, I still love my Soob.

Mark

Wow,  You know I have Loyale and GL and oddly when I went to order they just ask me the typical questions never got the wrong shaft at O'Reilly's  not that they are any better or any worse than anyone else.  It could be as simple as the EA81 or EA82 they seem to want to always want to know.

Yea, it really is pretty simple with EA82s, especially with manual transmissions. Turbo = 25 spline, non = 23.

I think there is some combination of the older 3-speed auto and turbo that is an exception to that (23 spline), but for probably 99% of the EA82s out there, that's true.

The turbo 3at's had 23 spline axles, but the doj is larger and the same size as the 25 spline units. Maybe your parts listing was confused with a turbo model with a manual trans, or the turbo RX model with the dual range full time trans.

using a 23 spline 3at turbo axle would be considered an upgrade over stock.

• Like 1

The parts house web site I  bought from, gets their application information from the manufacture, and if you go to APW International's web site,(the manufacture) they show 4WD as having 25 spline. Sure not a lot of help there. And the parts house dosen't show a difference from turbo or non turbo. Because of all this, I get to drive my old 69 Chevy 1/2 ton PU with over 400,000 miles on it. Its going to be a long week. Thanks for all the info so far.

Mark

If you still have your old axles,

Pop the outer boot off, remove the clip inside the housing, pull the axle out. Put the outer end of axle into the hub, reassemble everything, put it in 4WD and go down the road.

Done that quite a few times....

• Like 2

Tom,

Thats not a bad idea. I may do just that, beats driving the old Chevy. I mean, at this point I would rather drive my new lawn tractor the 18 miles to work. With no power steering or brakes, my truck sucks. I never knew it until I got the Soob, it spoiled me.

Mark

• Like 2