Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Issues...

Ok, Received parts yard distributor, (in very serviceable condition by the way) and put it in, spark, ok, fuel, ok, why won't it even try to start?

Pulled plugs, and did compression check on all cylinders...#3 had 25 psi (yes read that again...twenty-five)

#s 1-2 & 4 had zero!

whaa-the-heck!?!

pulled valve covers off to check for the possibility of really poor valve adjustments...

odd...nothings moving here.

set the valve covers on the workbench and noticed the oil, how it sparkles all glittery like a bass boat...

...crud...

metal particulates all sparkly in the oil, this cannot be a good thing to anyone other than a Liberace fan (for those born after 1985...look it up)

quick diagnosis, based on my years of technical expertise tells me that this engine ain't gonna run like this.

looking closer I cannot see anything because my x-ray glasses really don't work as advertised. (ripped of yet again)

Surmising, however, still functions so I am led to surmise that the camshaft has broken. I do not know exactly to what extent the internal damage may be, but we are (my father and I) pulling the engine with the idea of cracking the case to see just how boogered up this thing really is.

Bottom line of this is I need a vehicle as my ranger blew a head gasket. and since I am already ankles deep in this thing I may as well just finish it out.

SO, does anyone know were I may source an inexpensive EA71?

I found a posting from another of the members here and have indicated an interest, but it is in Colorado, and I am on the western edge of Montana. Funding is limited for this endeavor, so I really have to watch the budget on this.

There was also a craigslist ad from Eastern Idaho 

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pts/3687300921.html

But if I read it correctly, its a gamble whether it is seized or not.

it's in my price range, but I placed two calls to the number and he hung up on me as soon as he picked up.

(why? I can only guess that my Florida area code telephone number scared him for some reason).

so I am appealing to the members here for leads on a good usable engine.

(or a good usable parts vehicle, that will be good too)

I don't have gobs of free cash available PM me if you've any ideas.

Because frankly, 

I'm running out of any of my own...

bewilderedly

timothy

Nice to see you taking this well. To me , and probably at least a handful more , you're better off just yanking the engine and swapping in the one you're looking for. OK you knew that , but just to offer a verifying opinion.....time equals $.

First , you don't mention which year it is. There are 2 types of EA71's out there and we want to do this right the first time, Check that your intake and air passage tubes are the same to the unit you'll be buying. Hopefully you can score a whole unit with intake and all inplace.

"tailgatewagon" - Brian , has some 1600 stuff of mine/ours that you might be able to use. He's in Bozeman - not sure if that helps. Otherwise there has to be one fairly close to you. You couldn't be in a better area for these cars.

Now what to do about images of Liberace in a sparkly bass boat .....arrrrrrggggghhh!

• Like 1

Apologies for the omissions, and grateful praise for the corrections!

The distinct trouble with being a novice in any field or endeavor is the subsequent lack of knowledge. I know only that I know not what I know not.

Having said that I offer information to further my cause...

1977 Subaru DL Wagon, front wheel drive, Automatic transmission. No A/C, Fed Emissions.

And it's red..(well faded to orangeish hue)

Thank you for the correction, and for providing illumination to dispell my ignorance.

I shall endeavor to post from a more informed position.

Gratefully,

timothy

• Like 1

When you are new to something, sometimes it takes a while to figure out what is relevant and what isn't.  On a forum like this, sometimes it takes a while, and a few mistakes, to figure out who is knowledgeable and reliable, and who is not.

Moosens is one of THE experts on Historic Subarus;  He is certainly the most vocal expert.  Excellent resource for knowledge and sourcing parts.  (He also seems to be a pretty good guy, for an East-Coaster).  I think that his post count must have rolled over or something, as it should be well into 5 digits. 

As well as the members in Montana, there are quite a few members in the Coeur d'Alene/Spokane area.

Welcome, and good luck!

• Like 3

LOL Brian , I just came across some note I had in my drawer with the guy's name and stuff.....I think it was 2009 infact !! .... do as you need to , you know the deal. I'm not going to cry about any of that stuff. Light money spent for a good cause. Maybe the new guy who gets it will buy my a beer someday when I'm out there ....but please PUT THE STUFF TO USE !!! LOL

Pat - I've taped my fingers (mouth) a lot these past few years. I'm a well founded owner but don't claim to be much of the best at any repairs or diagnostics - but I'll give what info I can. Thanks for the pleasant thoughts. :)  I had them chop the post count to hopefully be an example at the time.

So , let us know what you do and what the internals look like from this puppy. Take my block from Brian and take care of him for being the good guy to take the stuff in and retain it. You don't have to buy me a beer , but one day you can sell me your ride. LOL Enjoy !!

Edited by moosens
  • Like 2

Moosens, 

I've read over your past and recent postings.

Sorry to say but the evidence is quite damning...it appears that you are indeed as they claim "the EXPERTS on historic Subaru's!"

When you are new to something, sometimes it takes a while to figure out what is relevant and what isn't.  On a forum like this, sometimes it takes a while, and a few mistakes, to figure out who is knowledgeable and reliable, and who is not.

Moosens is one of THE experts on Historic Subarus;  He is certainly the most vocal expert.  Excellent resource for knowledge and sourcing parts.  (He also seems to be a pretty good guy, for an East-Coaster).  I think that his post count must have rolled over or something, as it should be well into 5 digits. 

As well as the members in Montana, there are quite a few members in the Coeur d'Alene/Spokane area.

Welcome, and good luck!

Thank you for the direction.

Moosens, having seen your handiwork I have to conclude that...

Your humble posturing is unwarranted,

If I had helped that many people in one endeavor (Restoring these Classics) they would have to give me a medal or something.

I noted your mention of this liquid known as Beer?

Being that I have lived in the South for over 20 years, I am familiar with the item of which you speak.

It has been the source of many an eventful situation, usually involving something with a motor, and sometimes firearms, often its just fireworks, but something has to blow up or go BOOM before the dawn breaks.The reason I mention this is that Montana has some spectacular beer(s). Not being a drinker myself I have to assume that others know what they are talking about. Provided there are no legal limitation of your importation of this substance, perhaps this might 'grease' the negotiations?

I'm in process of sending you a PM outlining a possible trade agreement to procure the items you've in storage with Tailgatewagon. 

I believe that since he is holding the goods in question, that I should offer him something as well for being the "middleman" or perhaps a loftier title would be "Agent" in this situation.

Unless you would wish to conduct business in this forum, which I am not opposed to as any dealings with me shall be upright and honest ones.

In short, 

I NEED AN ENGINE!

We are about to pull the old one out, and will crack the case, but I fear the worst for it, being an aluminum case I know that when things get loose inside they tend to wallow out the aluminum.

at best I can expect that the cam drive gear has let go, otherwise it very likely has cracked the camshaft just at or behind the drive gear. 

I am afraid that this engine is now only good for parts. 

This Wagon is in really good shape, the only rust on her is at the bottom of the rear window (rust bubbling beneath the paint) and a few surface spots here and there. interior is unmolested, the body has no holes punched in save for the cowl piece where the previous owner punched a hole through for a cb antenna...its gastly and atrocious and will be remedied forthwith as soon as she is roadworthy.

I only wish she were a 4x4 but being a front wheel drive will suit my needs just as well. She's a wagon so there is room for the bass and camping gear for the bluegrass festivals and whatnot. light, agile, gas sipping, classic looks, easy to work on, whats not to love about this thing? (oh and its Japanese! My mom loves this thing! (she's Japanese so there is a kinship I think)

enough of my ramblings,

Thank you all for your help in the resurrection of this tiny bit of motoring history. it will stable next to my dads 1984 Cadillac Eldorado.

Respectfully,

Timothy

Edited by Tsuru

LOL Brian , I just came across some note I had in my drawer with the guy's name and stuff.....I think it was 2009 infact !! .... do as you need to , you know the deal. I'm not going to cry about any of that stuff. Light money spent for a good cause. Maybe the new guy who gets it will buy my a beer someday when I'm out there ....but please PUT THE STUFF TO USE !!! LOL

Pat - I've taped my fingers (mouth) a lot these past few years. I'm a well founded owner but don't claim to be much of the best at any repairs or diagnostics - but I'll give what info I can. Thanks for the pleasant thoughts. :)  I had them chop the post count to hopefully be an example at the time.

So , let us know what you do and what the internals look like from this puppy. Take my block from Brian and take care of him for being the good guy to take the stuff in and retain it. You don't have to buy me a beer , but one day you can sell me your ride. LOL Enjoy !!

Wow! Ok,

Brian, sent a PM, hopefully we can work something out where we are both happy.

thanks Moosens! too bad you are way over yonder in...well...yankee territory. (heehee)

At least you are in the state where good ol Samuel Colt set up shop. and that should count for something.

(send me an address Moosens and I'll mail you a beer! or Mission Valley wine, or a rootbeer, or a colt .45 (brew, not 1911 A1))

heehee,

Gratefully,

Timothy

No sweat. The best favor I can ask is that maybe you just type less. Lol

Seriously , I work the graveyard and most times I'm on here I'm sleep deprived and I'm easily , or more easily annoyed by little things. I also skip most posts unless I see it pertains to good old me or something I'm fairly certain I can add to in a positive way whether it be information or class clown humor.

Cheers! And please , no sweat on my end. Take care of Brian some and that's also a favor to me. Sorry about the inbox.

And about those micro brews .... Been a beautiful world since the late 80's early 90's as I can walk into many stores and hook up with some great brews. I'm not a big drinker but probably seems like one since I mention it here so much. Might be a little pretentious but I do use the stuff as a sleep aid pretty much exclusively. And I stick with staples like Guinness for winter, Harpoon IPA for summer, and now I am using Bass IPA as I lost my taste for regular Bass Ale which would be my seasons transition beer.

Ok All you need to know and then some ...... Lol

Cheers!!!

Moosens,

Apologies for the verbosity, I have spent too many years writing reports where it looks like you have accomplished more, the wordier they are.

I also completely understand the "zombie effect" from nightshifting. I've done that for almost ten years straight, and I'm ever so glad to be out of it now.

So, to keep this simple,

Thanks!

and I'll wait to hear from Brian at this point.

In the meantime I'll rip into the one I have and post pictures of what I find. Although it may be a little bit with all the gigs and practice and fixing other peoples sewing machines. (finished a rather nice Pfaff 130 yesterday in MINT condition! it was a joy to work on)

and life goes on.

Respectfully,

Timothy