Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder into Brat

I believe I have seen that some North American Brats came out of the factory with hill holder. (could be wrong) I have a hill holder unit out of an L series. I have the gearbox out of the same car to go into my Brat - so I have a clutch fork to suit. However, I don't think any Brat in Australia came out with the hill holder installed from the production line.

So, is there anyone out there that has done it? The Australian Brat has the brake booster and master cylinder on the opposite side to the North American model. It comes out with three lines - with one going into what I assume to be a proportioning valve with two outputs. What I am hoping to do is remove this and install the hill holder here as it has one input and two outputs. But I'm not sure if it will have the proportioning valves to suit my car. The local brake shops don't really know how the work and I don't want to play with my brakes if I'm doing something that has not been done before. Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

I've never done what you're trying to do.  Sorry I can't help.  I have a North American '83 Brat in need of a hill holder valve because mine leaks and my mechanic says they're unbypassable(which doesn't seem right, right?).  Anyway, if you don't end up using yours then I'll buy it from you.  I can't find one anywhere.  Thanks.

I've never done what you're trying to do.  Sorry I can't help.  I have a North American '83 Brat in need of a hill holder valve because mine leaks and my mechanic says they're unbypassable(which doesn't seem right, right?).  Anyway, if you don't end up using yours then I'll buy it from you.  I can't find one anywhere.  Thanks.

They are totally bypassable.  Replace it with a "T"  done.

Newer models(legacies) only operate one wheel, so no "T" just couple the line straight through.

You can get another from any MT GL, Loyale, XT, or even early Legacies. (legacy ones will operate only one wheel unless you drill/tap second port)  They are all the same unit minus the one hole in the Lego's.

To the OP

Sounds like the setup you have is like our 80,81 GL's here....which didn't have hillholder.  I added one to my Buddys car.

To install the hillholder, you need to determine which lines out of the master are going to which wheels. Look at the master.....2 lines probably come out near eachother, from the same "chamber"  These should go to the Front right, and rear left.  

The 3rd line comes out of the other "chamber"  This line alone is the one you want.

Like you said, if that is the single line, that goes into the "T" (Mounted on the frame rail? I doubt it's a proportioning valve, those are on newer ones, in the rear.  It was a Just a "T" there on the 81 we converted.)

Install the hillholder there.  Should end up with the hillholder holding pressure on the Front left, and Rear Right.

Edited by Gloyale