Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Heater Core / Defrost

Hello!

I have a 1991 Subaru Loyale with the push button 4WD.

This past winter I had my friend replace my heater core as my old one had been dead and bypassed for a couple of years.

When I got the car back, while the heat works, when I turn on the Defrost option, the air does not pass through the proper defrost vents near the windshield and instead just comes out of the front of dash vents.

I am assuming that when my friend put things back together, he simply fucked that part up.

How hard is this to fix?

Do I have to take apart the whole dash again?

Is it a simple toggle switch I can access easily?

Thank you! 

I'm confused (and not mechanically inclined, so that is likely why), but air does blow out.

So I want to say that the hose is hooked up, because it blows out when I turn it on.

The problem is that it blows out of the wrong place when I switch to "defrost" versus "heater."

Both the Heater setting and the Defrost setting make it blow out of the regular heater dash board vents.

Could this simply a toggle switch in the dash control panel?

Or does this have to do with the hoses that you speak of?

I just feel like it would be something different, like a relay switch or something that isn't getting activated or something.

I dunno...

:/

yes the door that changes the air direction is vacuum accuated.

look on the passenger side of the engine compartment on the top portion of the firewall there should be a small white colored canister with a vacuum hose coming out of both ends that is the vacuum line that supplies the heater controls.the line will hook up to the intake manifold and pass through a firewall grommet.

Hope that helps

Ben

Hello!

I have a 1991 Subaru Loyale with the push button 4WD.

This past winter I had my friend replace my heater core as my old one had been dead and bypassed for a couple of years.

When I got the car back, while the heat works, when I turn on the Defrost option, the air does not pass through the proper defrost vents near the windshield and instead just comes out of the front of dash vents.

I am assuming that when my friend put things back together, he simply fucked that part up.

How hard is this to fix?

Do I have to take apart the whole dash again?

Is it a simple toggle switch I can access easily?

Thank you! 

Watch your language

• Like 1

will give it a look this weekend!

thank you =)

Ummm, it's Wednesday.  Weekend is still 3 days off.  Only takes a minute to check the vacumn line.

Last night, I heard a rear brake shoe dragging on the way home from work.  Got home, jacked up the car, took apart the RR brake assembly.  Found a broken spring.  Went to my spare parts box.  Found a spring.  Replaced it.  Put it back together.  All FIXED!

Then, beings I still had plenty of daylight, decided to drain and replace the rear diff fluid on my other '85 Subie.  And I just turned 50... so I might not be alive when the weekend comes !!!  How will I know if you fixed it?

I have tomorrow off from school, so I'll take a break from studying for my two midterms next week and give this a look.

=)

I will report back after I have either solved the problem or made things worse! 

=)

Thanks for all of the input thus far though!

I am not good with cars and am rather intimidated by them as I really don't want to break things any further.

I have no job and no money to replace the car, so I am careful with that I do with it. 

I really wish my high school offered some kind of mechanics/auto class.

I think they should be required for everyone and if I ever have a kid, I'm gonna make sure that they learn about cars before buying one.

• Like 1

A little off topic, but I agree with you gizmonix, I personally think that understanding how your car works helps you drive it better. I think they shold make knowing how to check your brake fluid, oil, and antifreeze part of the test to get your drivers license.

I know... high schools suck these days.   I took auto shop, wood shop, metal shop, welding, physics, chemistry, trigonometry... etc.

Now, my boy (senior) is taking a class called Inhumanities... WHAT?   There are NO shop classes.  But he did take Home Ec (one of the few electives left).

I feel sorry for the kids these days.

That's why I bought a $200 1985 Subaru Wagon, 4WD, 5-speed with a blown head gasket.   I made sure my boy knew that HE was responsible for fixing it.  I was only there for guideance and muscle when he needed it.   We pulled the motor and did a total reseal with all the goodies.   He even hand-lapped the heads using GD's method with 1/2" glass.   Now... the kid is set for life...  I hope!

Find a friend who is willing to tear into it and likes to fix things.   It's a good source of motivation and sometimes helps if you can't figure out how to put it back together... ha!    ... and don't forget the beer!

• Like 1