Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid

MR_Loyale

• 3 months later...

I'd prefer it if they would just sell the diesel that is available pretty much everywhere but North America. I want 45mpg, an engine that lasts forever and all that torque in an AWD package. VW sells a ton of diesels. Are you listening, Subaru...? (rhetorical question... they aren't...)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to test drive and possibly trade the 09 sport for a crosstrek but i was not impressed with the shifting of the belt driven tranny or the power. of course thats the price for better gas milage and also it was for the wife and if she wanted it i would have swapped. but she loves her sport and so do i. i was doing 120 once to cali and didnt notice until i looked at the speedo....with a subtle whistle, i discretely deccelerated.

• 2 weeks later...

As of 4 months ago I was selling cars for Subaru. The XV (non hybrid) gets about 33 MPG. As to the Hybrid gets 35 MPG a lot more cost for a small increase in MPG and a loss of power. I would stick with the original, and in my opinion they should have a diesel version, that would bring the MPG people around here are looking for and over is a great idea.

• Like 1

I went to test drive and possibly trade the 09 sport for a crosstrek but i was not impressed with the shifting of the belt driven tranny or the power. of course thats the price for better gas milage and also it was for the wife and if she wanted it i would have swapped. but she loves her sport and so do i. i was doing 120 once to cali and didnt notice until i looked at the speedo....with a subtle whistle, i discretely deccelerated.

I'm positive the XV will do 120 without batting an eye.  I've never gone beyond 110, but am sure it would do that.  I'm pretty sure it would beat a 2.2 5 speed imp in a straight line too.  The speed is deceiving, it's got more poop than it feels like.  148lb of torque ain't bad coupled with the 4.44.

You are right, the XV has some deceiving power that some people just can't seem to find. That was a problem I always had, customers would say the engine is too small for the vehicle and things of that nature. I have been around them and test drove some of the first few for a few hundred miles and they will go. They have great power might not be STI power but for what it is they did a great job on the XV.

• 3 weeks later...

My requirement for a new Subaru is that I can two a u-haul trailer.  My 2006 Imprezza does OK (recently with a 5x8 cargo {enclosed} one).  Need a new car that's higher (knees not what they used to be).  Choices are:  Crosstrek XV (hybrid also), Forrester or outback (the std imprezza not rigged for towing anymore)

Question on Towing:  The non-hybrid version will tow ~1,500 lbs.  When I did a "build your own" non-hybrid model, when I added the trailer hitch, it noted that "not available on the hybrid".  Can anyone confirm this?

If I can't tow w/CTXV Hybrid - then I need to look at other options.

Now living in City (and a hilly one at that), the hybrid would be great! 

TIA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

First time posting to USMB.  My Crosstrek Hybrid Touring was purchased this past January and was immediately thrown into one of the worst winters NY has seen in a long time.  It performs very well in the snow, in case anyone was wondering.  I have a question regarding the rear undercarriage of my new Crosstrek Hybrid Touring.  The pictures attached show a partially rusted rod that is inserted into something cylindrical and black in color.  

Can anyone please tell me what that is and why it would be rusted or heat damaged?  (salt, heat?)  Is this something to worry about or worse needs to be replaced?

**this is a repost.  I asked this question in the Crosstrek thread.  Sorry, I'm a noob.

post-52071-0-26665100-1392645945_thumb.jpg

post-52071-0-06470300-1392645949_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That is just your rear sway bar, or anti-roll bar, if you will. it helps reduce body roll in cornering. you might want to clean up the rust on it and recoat it. that or get an upgraded bar. the aftermarket bars tend to have a positive effect on handling and seem to hold up well to the elements. at least from what i have seen,

That is just your rear sway bar, or anti-roll bar, if you will. it helps reduce body roll in cornering. you might want to clean up the rust on it and recoat it. that or get an upgraded bar. the aftermarket bars tend to have a positive effect on handling and seem to hold up well to the elements. at least from what i have seen,

Sorry, but that is not a sway bar - sway bars are attached to suspension on each end - that stops at the rubber mount.

That actually looks like exhaust hanger to me - they have used the same style for years.

If that is an exhaust hanger (what is it attached to at the other end?) then there is pretty much nothing you can do about the rust. Maybe clean it up and apply some high heat paint? no gaurantees that will last either, tho. The good news is, it will last for many years to come - dont fret over it.

agreed. exhaust hanger...that steel is solid and it will take years to rust through. its more of a cosmetic issue at this point and as long as nobody is looking under your soob it wont be noticed. some high temp engine paint works fine if it bothers you.

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at the XV hybrid Friday afternoon and its a stretch to actually call it a hybrid.

It's just a series hybrid with a "booster" motor between the engine and trans from what I could tell. Auto stop and start functions save you more fuel than the little motor does, but it does increase city fuel economy by 3-4 mpg, which is enough to earn points with the EPA and new CARB regulations.

The fleet average fuel economy is what they care about now, so we're going to see a lot of series hybrid cars in the next few years as car makers try to bring their fleet averages up, and to do that theyre going to find ways to bring coty fuel economy up. This is also part of the reason for the demise of the Tribeca, why the new Jeep Cherokee isn't really a Jeep anymore, and why every other car and SUV out there is shifting towards smaller, rather than the previous trend of "Bigger is better".

To Nyguy75, take the car to the dealer and have them treat the exhaust system with some Zinc based high temp exhaust paint. What you have pictured is only minor surface rust, but preventing rust now will prevent expensive repairs later.

• 2 months later...