Ultimate Subaru Message Board

code 32 on highway?

my car has just developed the habit of giving trouble code 32 whenever I drive at 65+ mph for any significant distance. Although, the light eventually goes out soon after I slow down. Chilton says 32 is the "abnormal signal" from the O2 sensor. No discernible difference in performance or mileage or anything when the CEL comes on. Any ideas what the problem is?

I posted a few days ago about my exhaust smelling bad when hot because the car puked all over the pipes when the last owner killed it. Maybe there's some crap inside the pipes that gets hot enough at 65+ mph that the fumes mess up the O2 sensor?

there are some other easy tests too. with the key on eng. off you should have aprox .5V on the o2 signal wire. this is a referance voltage sent to the sensor by the ecm for circit verification. if its less than that you may have a shorted o2 circit. did you use a universal o2? if so did you accidentaly crimp the ground shielding to the signal? I have seen this before.

if you do see .5v test drive with the meeter hooked up when you accelerate hard with a warm engine you should see the voltage climb to .8 or higher then on decel it should drop to almost 0V and at cruise it should fluctuatefrom .3 to .7rapidly.

actual voltages may be slightly different but should be close to what I have stated.

good luck