Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1984 Brat Project

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I should have done this a year or so ago, but I just never got around to it. So here it is now.

This is my little project. My brother, my dad, and I picked it up a few years ago. Originally from Arizona, it is fairly rust-free. It came with a 5 speed dual range transmission, a newer EA81 engine, the original engine, and a mountain of parts under that camper shell. The parts mountain included new-in-box weber, every piece of trim imaginable, roof glass (though this is a hardtop), crossmembers, alternator, roll bar, the list goes on and on.

The car runs great and has given me no problems at all. I have put some miles on it using it as a diaily driver for a while and it ahs made several multi-hour trips. 

Since purchasing the car, I have put on a 2 inch lift, installed the roll bar, put on 15 inch pugs with 205/70/15 tires. The tires will require a slight trim behind the the front wheels.

I have been accumulating parts since purchasing the car. I paid $60 bucks to strip every part I could from another 84 brat that was going to scrap. The only things I couldn't take were the engine/tranny and the body panels. I have a steering column, radio, door seals, MORE roof glass and seals, door parts, wheels, trim, 2 sets of jump seats with headrests, factory brushguard, on and on.

Next on the list of upgrades is an adjustment to the lift to correct the camber and installation of all of the following: weber, factory brushguard, jump seats, fog lights, and one CV axle.

Let me know what you think!

sSgPhW5s.jpg

dV2eyPUs.jpg

mjJrxhBs.jpg

#2 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Found another picture. This is post-lift, but pre-tire upgrade. You can also see the nice red roll bar peeking out.

v9y4LUPs.jpg

#3 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sorry those pictures were tiny. Try these. I am afraid that these are HUGE, but I don't know how to insert a thumbnail with a link to the bigger picture.

Any picture uploading advice is welcome!

sSgPhW5.jpgdV2eyPU.jpgmjJrxhB.jpgv9y4LUP.jpg

#4 Mechanical_misfit

Mechanical_misfit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Muskegon, MI

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Looks like a solid rig!

#5 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nice Brat, good to see one on this side of the country

#6 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

How is it that everyone finds pugs except for ME ?

Nice Brat.   I need one!  Or should I say... I want one!

#7 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey! You're not too far from me. Got a friend in Pitt. and would love to check out your BRAT one day when I'm in town. It looks great with those tires on there, also rare to see a hard-top. Most seem to be T-Tops.

And, if you ever want to sell it.. =P haha

Nice rig!

#8 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

nice 84! especially for over there....

I like the wind deflector on the topper. I have a 84 BRAT project as well...but its for sale now due to the 78 I picked up. 

I got one for ya, cheap.

#9 jmoss5723

jmoss5723

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just be vigilant. I hunt Craigslist like its my job, and watch on here as well. I ended up buying mine from a member who lives a few hours away. Well worth the drive!!

Hey! You're not too far from me. Got a friend in Pitt. and would love to check out your BRAT one day when I'm in town. It looks great with those tires on there, also rare to see a hard-top. Most seem to be T-Tops.

And, if you ever want to sell it.. =P haha

Nice rig!

I recently posted a list of about 10 brats for sale in PA, most of them out east near philly and york. You can find the post in the ebay/craigslist forum. some of them are really nice looking! http://www.ultimates...brats-10-or-so/

#10 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Keep an eye out on Peugeot boards as well. I found 5 steelies for $125.00 that way. The alloys are valued far more in the Pug world than the steelies, so owners are tending to hold onto them more and the prices are going up faster. Constant vigilance is the way.

Edited by bendecker, 15 April 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#11 scrapperking

scrapperking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Elkhorn California

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Nice brat! Any spare tail lights for sale??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users