Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1991 Turbo legacy, and a trip

1982gl4

Four piston front calipers, and two piston rear calipers along with all the rotors and pads are on the way! I also got stainless lines front and rear, and kartboy caliper adaptors for the rear. All the parts should be here by next week. This should be a great upgrade! 

Your up grades sound really good looking forward to the progress !..

The wet seat is the sunroof I take it lol.. Common problem..

You must take the hole track down and re seal the track on the tray.. Just did that to the one I'm building.

Thanks! Right now I'm focusing on upgrading the handling, stoping, and drivetrain, so when I do put power to it I won't have to upgrade anything else. The leak is my sunroof, I've been trying to get my old wagon's fi swap done so I can have a garage to pull the sunroof out. I've been following your 90 LS build over on bbs, looks pretty sweet!

Edited by 1982gl4

So if you are going to ship calipers that are painted, it would be really nice if the brake fluid was taken out of them first, the finish on one of them is ruined, and I need to get a new sticker for it.... (The box they came in also looked like it went through a post office war) The rest of them are in great shape. Now I just need to wait for ss lines, and the rear brake adaptors to come in. 

1_zps0a0d7196.jpg

2_zpsaa8e8c80.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Got my brakes on last night, I think I need to re bleed them as the peddle feels a bit soft to me still. But over all I can tell they are a huge improvement, And the looks freaking sweet. I repainted that one bad caliper with a por15 caliper kit, the paint is a bit darker, but close enough for brakes. I need to order a sticker, and it should be looking great again.

Fronts all mounted up

2_zps8c5b6221.jpg

Rear adaptors in place (took a while to grid them to fit....) And rear dust shields removed 

1_zps430d7b01.jpg

A couple of installed pics.

3_zps07a8dbc6.jpg

4_zpsd27bb88d.jpg

5_zps55842bcc.jpg

We also took this down to WBM, and it was awesome, this was my second year going, car went great, and we had a ton of fun cruising down with some friends. 

7_zpsc768507b.jpg

Rolling shot! 

6_zps2555b651.jpg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Last week my friend came up from Virginia, and we got in some cruising, and also got a few great shots. 

This is his wrx wagon. 

1_zps451140d8.jpg

our cars on top of the mountain we drove up (an amazing road) 

2_zps7cef80e7.jpg

couple of rollers of mine. 

4_zps2dcbc051.jpg

3_zps55917907.jpg

I also got some parts this week! Manual seat belts! I can not wait to put these in. 

5_zps026da469.jpg

For being original and mostly untouched, this is a really tight looking Legacy.

It's going to be the envy of me once you've cleaned it up proper and have it looking new again. Always loved this year's lighting over the '92 and up.

For being original and mostly untouched, this is a really tight looking Legacy.

It's going to be the envy of me once you've cleaned it up proper and have it looking new again. Always loved this year's lighting over the '92 and up.

Thanks! The idea is to leave it mostly stock looking on the outside and inside. It's going to get a FMIC, but after that the exterior is going to stay the same as it looks now, eventually I'll fix all the dents it has, and give it a fresh coat of pearl white (probably next year, maybe the year after). I too am a fan of the pre facelift legacys. They look so much more aggressive than the post. When I started looking at theses I knew it had to be a 1991. 

Nice Prodrive's!!!

I am wanting one of these Legos badly lately.  Nice ride.

Thanks I love my wheels, I found them on craigslist about 20 miles from my house! I had them on my wrx, but there's no way I was going to let them go when I sold that! If you do end up with a first gen legacy you will not regret it. I've had many of these cars, and I like this one more than any other new gen subaru I've owned to date (I'm still a sucker for ea81's) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so I'm getting really sick of the constant banging coming from my firewall (Stress on the pitch stopper) due to bad motor mounts. So I've ordered new group N motor mounts, and an upgraded pitch stop, I know they can increase noise, but I think it will be worth it. My trans mount is bad too, but I really want to upgrade to a 6 speed, so I'm holding off on that. Changed the oil tonight, every 3k like clock work. Noticed my power steering rack, and lines coming from the pump are all leaking. So now I need to do something about that. It's always something, but someday this car will be amazing... 

Today I swapped motor mounts. SO glad that I did. 

You can't really see it but the bushing in the pitch stopper is cracked and falling apart 

1_zps77b6fbaa.jpg

New part! 

2_zps82851b0c.jpg

I won't have to explane why these are bad. 

3_zpsa5e8f4e0.jpg

So nice to have the group N ones in place 

4_zps93b4cc58.jpg

It is so nice working on this car. It is so rust free. I unbolted the heat shields from the manifold without breaking a single bolt! I also did a couple things I have been meaning to do for a long time. I swapped out the knock sensor, and the coolant temps sensor as preventive maintenance, good think i did, the temp sensor was all but falling apart. I also welded the trans mount solid, which I now regret doing. I worked great on my dad's swapped 914, but on this it makes too much noise, that and I think my trans has a bad bearing somewhere. It makes a ton of noise under load (it did that before the mount was welded, it's just amplified now) 

Edited by 1982gl4

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully getting a cat back for this sunday! I also lost my wipers on the way into work this morning it was fun in the pouring rain. I had to run them with my hand out the window. Luckily it turned out to just be a nut that fell off. All is fixed now, hopefully the lock-tight keeps it that way. 

IIRC you get a LSD with the 91's as well... Correct??

Great work by the way. I have always been a huge fan of these.

Greg

Thanks! I really like this car, progress is kind of slow because of all my other projects, but I really do enjoy owning it, and so far modifying it as well. This does indeed have a lsd. This car was originally an auto, but it was swapped out with a correct 1991 ss trans and rear diff. The trans is getting pretty tired, so I've been looking into options for its replacement. Tomorrow I go to look at, and hopefully pick up, the cat back. I also purchased a JDM STI strut tower brace for it today.

Alright so I'm getting really sick of the constant banging coming from my firewall (Stress on the pitch stopper) due to bad motor mounts. So I've ordered new group N motor mounts, and an upgraded pitch stop, I know they can increase noise, but I think it will be worth it. My trans mount is bad too, but I really want to upgrade to a 6 speed, so I'm holding off on that. Changed the oil tonight, every 3k like clock work. Noticed my power steering rack, and lines coming from the pump are all leaking. So now I need to do something about that. It's always something, but someday this car will be amazing... 

Your car is great, don't let the little challenges break your spirit!

Edited by Crazyeights

Your car is great, don't let the little challenges break your spirit!

Thanks! It was just me being a little disgruntled about my 21 year old car needing a few parts  :lol: I haven't fixed the leak yet, as I'm deciding what to do for a power steering set up. It just seeps so I'm not super worried about it, it was just another thing to add to the list, speaking of which the trans noise is getting worse. I found a JDM V1 five speed local to me, so I'm going to look in to that, but I'm looking into some other options as well. 

Flanges came in today! I drove my car in, with the exhaust in the truck so I got to put the turbo back on. Took some time as I had to mod all of the hangers, and add a section to the cat back, and swap the flange. I didn't have time to take a sound clip, but I will make sure to do that later. Sounds good. No drone, nice and quiet cruising, and sounds great when I get on it too. 

4_zps43811f2e.jpg

3_zps29a232b5.jpg

• 2 months later...

A lot of people over here seem to place them there. Some of our WRX's had them placed there as an option from the dealers as well. I like it due to the visibility, but it blocks some of my fuel gauge which bothers me some. Next summer when I get it back out I plan on adding a couple of gauges so I may move it somewhere else. Funny you should comment on this today. It was the first day in about 6 weeks I've moved this car due to the salt we have on the roads this time of year. it was -10 and the car started right up (Even more amazing my 72 VW bus started up too!), it is now sitting it its winter parking spot awaiting spring.