Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL 1800 nonturbo High Pitch whine/whistle in 4th gear only

So, I suspect the throwout bearing might be going as it is hard to downshift from 4th to 3rd unless the rpms and speed is just right - this has been going on for about 3000+miles. Now, I have an oil leak (getting under car in a minute to figure that out) and all of a sudden car is making this high pitch whistle/whine noise, but only in 4th, and only when accelerating, if I let off the gas for a 1/4 second noise goes away, comes back when I push the gas. no noise at high rpms in other gears or neutral.

Is this the TO bearing, or a transmission issue? I always appreciate the help from USMB. Thanks folks!

Edited by ajp

yes gear oil was realy low. I am feeling a little dumb. had this car for 60K of the 240K thats on it, and the front gear oil has always been fine. it has been awhile since I last cheked it - with that tire there and all. hopefully that is it and I didn't kill this car that has been so good to me.

• Like 1

That happened to my brother's Impreza. Gear oil was always fine. One day he noticed 5th gear was a little funky and was making a whistling noise. Gear oil was bone dry. Never any signs of a leak or anything.

The transmission was alright but ever since then 5th gear has a dull constant whine though.

• Like 1

the transmission took a quart and a half of gear oil. fella at the counter said that if gear oil eventually gets low, then it will allow a seal to dry out and then all the oil leaks out. no signs of a leak in mine. I'll report the findings as soon as I get a chance on the open road. thanks for the direction!

Drain and Refill the Tranny Gear Oil... for sure.  Clean the magnetic drain plug well.  Replace the drain plug gasket (yes, there should be one).

My brother bought an '83 a few weeks ago.  I suggested he change ALL the fluids.  When he drained the Rear Diff oil, only a few ounces drained out.  The top fill plug was only finger tight... oil must have been leaking out there when rear end was spinning. 

Save our Subarus (SOS)... people!   Lubrication is Good!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I've just noticed the exact same problem with my 2000 Outback. High pitched squealing sound while in 4th at high RPMs only (and also briefly while shifting between 5th and 4th). I haven't checked the gear oil yet. I was wondering what became of your car. Did topping up the gear oil fix the problem?